Chapter Four: Freyja

By the time we arrived at my home, Fanndis Manor, I could tell Rani was growing weary. She had experienced so much in such little time, but she was faring much better than I expected. Perhaps her body and mind were already experiencing the healing effects of Vanaheim. She was a girl born of Gods, and her time in Midgard had weakened her, I could tell. I knew soon enough, she would adapt to her new life. I only wished we could have made this transition easier on her. At the time of her exile, Odin had been quite adamant that she was never to know of her origins until we came for her. I had my suspicions that Odin had forgotten about her, but Frigga had not. A few days ago, when I had explained to Frigga what the stars had told me, she was quite agreeable. She claimed she had always known Rani would be special, and she couldn't have picked a better bride-to-be.

I breathed a sigh of relief when we crested the hill and saw my home nestled at the base. Fanndis was a sizable structure, made of rose quartz and slate roofing. The many windows reflected the sunlight into our eyes, so that we had to use our hands as shields. Surrounded on all sides by crystal waters, our chariot crossed the marble bridge.  Rani gawked at the scene laid out before her. Her green eyes were huge, and her mouth hung slack in awe. I suppressed a chuckle.

The felines came to a halt in one smooth motion. Rani and I stepped from the chariot, and I could tell her legs were still weak.

"You live here?" she asked incredulously. I imagine she believed herself to be dreaming.

I smiled at my half-sister. She was such a sweet, innocent young thing. I could hardly believe this girl was to become Loki's wife someday. But I trusted the AllFather's judgment. "Yes, this is my home. And now it's yours, too, for a time."

"It's splendid," Rani said breathlessly.

I thanked her, and studied her out of the corner of my eye. I could see sure signs of our father in her facial structure. She had his strong nose, and wide eyes. Other than that, though, she was the spitting image of Kara. From her thick, red hair, to her pointed chin, she was Kara's daughter. Skadi would have been mortified. The thought of my cold, distant mother shocked at Rani's features nearly made me laugh. I loved my mother dearly, but she was narcissistic. Her power was a force to be reckoned with, but I had always craved affection and care. I suppose this was why Odin made me goddess of Sex and Fertility.

I led Rani to her rooms, where she had another round of open-mouthed awe. To my standards, it was fairly simple. A queen-sized canopy bed set with soft green quilts nestled itself on one wall, and to the other, a broad fireplace with two cream-colored chaise lounges. Rani blanched. "All of this is mine?"

"Well of course," I said with a smile. "You're a young lady, betrothed to a Son of Odin. You deserve the very best."

Tears wells in Rani's eyes. "Thank you so much," she whispered. "I've never seen such grandeur."

I laughed aloud. "Oh darling, someday you will see just how simply I choose to live. Now, I'll send in a servant to attend to you. Wash up, rest up, and join us for dinner. You'll need your energy!"

With that, I left Rani to herself. No doubt she needed some peace and quiet, after such an arduous journey. My heart went out to her. She was so young, and had just left everything she'd ever known. I genuinely hoped that the stars had known what they were doing, to pluck her from her home to marry the Trickster of Asgard.

Once I'd sent a servant to Rani's chamber, I sought out my brother, who was as eager to meet our sister as I had been. I found him in the gardens, having a drink with none other than Thor and Sif.

"Freyja! You've returned!" beamed my always-cheerful brother, sloshing his drinking horn about.

I smiled, and greeted our guests. I hadn't wanted to have visitors until after Rani had settled in, but I couldn't say no to a Son of Odin. Plus, Thor was always such a pleasant dinner guest. "Thor, Sif, how pleasant. To what do we owe the honor?"

Thor stood, and offered me a hug. He, too, was a bright and cheerful man. He always seemed to be in a pleasant mood, since he'd wed Sif years ago. He was handsome, too, and if he wasn't married, I'd have a go at him myself. "Why, we heard that you were bringing the bride of Loki!" he bellowed.

Sif rolled her eyes at her husband's excitement. She, too, was quite the specimen. She was slender and willowy, but undeniably feminine. As Goddess of Harvest, she was a good match for Thor, God of Thunder. Before he wed his golden-haired vixen, he found trouble left and right. Sif knew the values of patience and tender care. She taught him well.

"I did try to keep him under control," she insisted in her steady voice, "knowing that the girl would be tired and overwhelmed. But he can be so stubborn." Her brown eyes filled with laughter.

"Say what you will, wife," Thor beamed, "I want to see the lucky girl who shall wed my brother."

"Now Thor," I chided with a smile, "I don't think it's fair that you see her before Loki does."

Freyr said, "In that case, move along, Thor. You have to wait a few years!"

We all laughed. Unless they have met on a previous encounter, the bride and groom were discouraged from seeing one another before marriage. Such had been the case for Thor and Sif, Odin and Frigga, and even my own parents, Njord and Skadi.

"Well, Rani is resting now," I told the group. "But she will join us for dinner."

"Is it true she's lived on Midgard all her life?" Sif asked. She'd been to Midgard only a few times, and found it just as fascinating as Thor did. Midgard was Thor's domain, and he'd been anointed its foremost protector.

"Yes," I told Sif. "Today is her first day back in Asgard since her birth."

The others shared a look. Skadi had done all she could to hide Rani's existence. Although now it was well-known that Rani was the daughter of Njord and Kara, the gossip would only worsen. That's where I came in. It was my job to tutor Rani in the customs and traditions of Asgard, as well as help her grown into a strong, tenacious Aesir goddess. She would learn to refute all the gossip, and stand independent in her own right.

I only hoped that I would not fail the sister I'd always longed for.