Chapter Six: Rani

It wasn't long until I had settled into my life at Fanndis. I really had no choice. Much was expected of me, and I forced myself to adapt. After my first night, I realized this was no dream; this was my life now. I was truly intended to be an Aesir Goddess, wed to a Son of Odin. Freyja explained it to me one morning: “Rani,” she said, “it is a great honor to be the wife of a Son of the AllFather. Odin is a wise and mysterious god, but he rules well and cares for all beings in the Nine Realms. He one hung himself from Yggdrasil for nine days so he might gain great knowledge. His sons are destined for greatness, and their wives are the true backbone of their husbands.”

I had listened closely, my face solemn. There would soon be much responsibility on my shoulders, and I had to be prepared to carry it. I had always heard stories of the Gods when I lived in Midgard. Now, I was to become one of those stories. I wanted my tales to be as fascinating as the ones I had grown up with.

Within a month, I began my lessons. The mornings were spent with Freyja, who taught me the basics of social and court life in Asgard. I learned to bow correctly, who to bow to, and how to carry myself. I learned the extent of our powers, and how we were all interconnected in the Nine Realms. I was learning to become a confident woman of Asgard, one who belongedthere. Yet I still dreaded when I would put my lessons to use.

During noontime, Freyja and Freyr would journey to the Well of Urd, beneath the great tree Yggdrasil, to converse with the other gods. Here, the fates of the world were discussed. I was not yet allowed to attend these meetings, although once I became a married woman and a goddess, I would.

Afternoons were spent with Freyr, who was just as charismatic as his twin. Freyr would teach me history, legend, and strategy. We would discuss the inner workings of being a member of the Aesir, and how best to help those we ruled. Having lived in Midgard for so long, he told me, gave me an advantage. He was helping me to become a valuable member of the world I now lived in. Once our lessons were over, Freyr would journey back to Alfheim, where he ruled over the Light Elves. He promised me that someday he would take me to see the Light Elves and their mystical land.

Years passed quickly, and I grew into a beautiful, capable Goddess under the tutelage of my beloved siblings.

Yet, it was not always work that brought us together. Mealtimes were always interesting, with gossip and debates filling our dining room with our laughter and ideas. The three of us were more alike than we even realized. We were all very social, and communicated easily with one another. Our sense of humor was the same, as were our tempers when we were irked. We honestly enjoyed our time spent together, playing dice, or singing and dancing like fools. Sometimes it seemed that we three were making up for lost time. Although I missed my Midgardian family, the empty spot in my heart hurt less as the time passed. Freyja assured me they were safe and happy, and that they missed me. One day, she told me, I might be able to visit them.

Soon, my lessons with Freyja turned to the values and necessity of marriage. I learned my role as the wife of a God, and how together, we would be stronger than as two individuals. The thought of marriage still frightened me, especially as I learned more and more from the Goddess of Fertility. But Freyja was soothing and I took solace in her words. Nevertheless, I was happier when we studied divination instead of childbearing. I felt more at home with runes. At least these tools gave me a way to better understand my future, rather than facing it blindly.

Freyr, on the other hand, continued my learning with advanced decision-making and critical thinking. My brother would present me with situations, and I would have to plan a way to deal with the issues. He consistently congratulated me on my visionary ideas and clear head. And then, much to my pleasure, he called in none other than Lady Sif to teach me basic combat. She may not have been a warrior Goddess, but she was wedded to the God of Thunder. She'd learned a thing or two in her time.

Our first lesson, Sif explained to me why this was unavoidable. "There may come a time when a Goddess must defend herself and others," she said, her voice low and serious. Her eyes were unblinking. "Let us pray it never comes to that. But if the situation every arises, better you be confident than unprepared."

Lady Sif was a wonderful teacher, showing me the numerous weapons available to us. I tried my hand at each one, but my skill lay in the elegant bow and arrow.

"A good choice," Lady Sif told me proudly. "Each person tends to have a specialty. Thor works best with his hammer, Mjolnir. Odin has his sacred spear. I myself," here, Sif's face lit up with glee, "prefer the sword. Less mess."

Altogether, I was becoming a well-rounded, well-learned young lady. I spent most of my time at Fanndis, though my teachers sometimes took me out to the fields or beyond. And we often had visitors. Thor and Sif visited regularly, since Sif took up my weapons training. Once, Frigga came to call, which was an honor in itself. She took us off-guard, and I hardly had any time to be afraid of my future mother-in-law.

When we met, she sized me up as I sunk into a respectful bow. When I rose to face Frigga, she smiled at me. "I knew I made a good choice."

By the end of the day, we had become friends, which was a blessing in itself.

Yes, my life as an Aesir had become wondrous. I was fulfilling my potential, realizing dreams I'd never entertained. As I said, I still feared my wedding day. But I had time; all would be well.

Time passed in ways I was unaccustomed to in Vanaheim. In Midgard years, I would have been maybe seventeen or eighteen. But I seemed so much older than that, I see now. My body was young and vibrant, still. But my mind and soul were older. I was on par now with my half-siblings. We had melded into a family, marked by blood. I had long since outgrown the gown my foster-mother had created for me. I kept it close; I would never give it up. I realized that my time in Midgard had given me a special advantage. It had been a strength, not a weakness. I was proud of my roots.

But, one day Freyja brought me news that would shake me, make me doubt the strength I had accumulated.

My father was coming for a visit.