Chapter Fourteen: Rani

The day had come when I would become an official Goddess of the Aesir. And after that, I would finally meet my betrothed.

I hadn't slept well the night before, and I was up before the sun. Even then I had no peace. Maids came to my rooms bright and early to prepare me for this, the most important day of my life so far.

I soaked in my bath as long as Idony would allow. I had hoped the steam and scent would wake me, but no. My mind my numb, and I felt as though I was stuck in a dream. I let Idony help me wash my hair, which had grown long and heavy these past years. She spoke to me soothingly, sensing my distress, but I could not follow her words. Still, it was a kind gesture.

Once I was done with my bath, I wrapped myself in a warm robe and sat down to pick at the plate of food that had been brought to me. I was hardly hungry; instead, I gazed out the window, chewing absently. Autumn was coming quickly, and the trees around the Palace were slowly changing their colors. The air was growing brisk. Midgardians believed that it was summer in Asgard all year long. I decided that someday, I would have to tell them otherwise.

Idony, impatient, urged me to finish eating. "I'm sorry, My Lady," she said, "but we have much to do."

I spent the next few hours sitting in a rather rigid chair, allowing the maids to do their job. Since this was such a grand occasion, I was expected to look my best. Idony, who I had grown to trust, took charge, knowing that I had much on my mind.

"Not too much powder," I heard her say, "we want her natural beauty to shine brighter than anything."

I fought off fears that haunted my mind. I was doubting myself, worried I would be a magnificent failure. My beloved Asgardian family came to mind. The pride of my foster parents echoed from the past. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I had been chosen for this. I could have been left on Midgard to rot. But I was chosen, not only to wed Loki, but also to become part of the Aesir.

A gown of my signature color, royal blue, was laid out on my bed. Once I was made up and styled, the maids helped me lace it on. It was the finest gown I'd owned, made specially for this day. The cut was very simple, with a sweetheart neckline that showed just a bit of cleavage. The sleeves were long and bell-shaped, and the skirt hugged my hips, then flared out. The sleeves, hem, and neckline were all trimmed with black and silver braids. Idony had been calling me the Lady in Blue for years, since that was my favorite color to wear. Eventually I would wear the green and gold of my husband.

Once my ensemble was complete, Idony turned me to face the mirror. I could hardly recognize myself. I did not see the young girl from Midgard I once was. I had grown up; there was no denying it any longer. I was a woman, who already looked like an Aesir. I saw my father's features complemented by my mother's red hair and green-gray eyes. I had not yet been face-to-face with my Valkyrie mother, but I understood how busy she was. If she were to see me now, would she be proud?

Idony was smiling beside me. "You look perfect, My Lady," she assured me.

I smiled back. "Thank you."

A soft knock caught our attention, and Freyja let herself in. "Good morning, Sister," she beamed joyously. "Today is your big day!"

She wrapped me into a warm, honeysuckle-scented hug. "I brought you something," she said.

I hadn't noticed the small box in her hand. She held it out to me, and I thanked her graciously. I opened it, to reveal a beautiful silver scarf of gauze, edged with my traditional royal blue. "Oh it's lovely!" I exclaimed.

"It is a girdle," she told me, "for you to wear. It's customary. We shall all be wearing ours."

Indeed, I took in Freyja's ensemble. She wore her symbolic rosy pink, a color which brought to mind love, sex, and babies. Perfect for the Goddess of Fertility. Her own girdle was a warm peach, made of sultry silk. Freyja wore her hair loose as I did, since we were unwed. Her golden locks fell in curls down her back, with a golden diadem upon her brow.

"Are you nervous?" my sister asked me.

"Yes," I said. I didn't lie well, especially not to Freyja.

"Don't be," she urged. "The ceremony will be through before you even realize."

"It's not the ceremony I'm worried about," I admitted. I turned my eyes to her for words of support.

Freyja looked at my sympathetically. "I can't force you to not be anxious," she said, taking my hand in hers. "But I have faith in you. You're smart, you're kind, you're strong. Any man would be lucky to have you. I promise, you will conquer today like a Valkyrie's daughter.”

I laughed aloud and Freyja beamed. If the great and beautiful Freyja could have such faith in me, perhaps I could have faith in myself.