Chapter Forty-Five: Epilogue

No story is ever truly finished. Although this chapter of our lives was over, a new one would soon begin.

After the battle with the Jotunn, we Aesir had a lot to sort out. Skadi was publicly proclaimed as a traitor to Asgard, but Odin still allowed her a proper burial. Freyja and Freyr were still devastated. After all, their own mother had betrayed them and even led a band of Jotunn to try and kill them. But with the support of the other Aesir (and their beloved little sister) they persevered. Freyr fell in love and was wed to a wonderful Asgardian girl named Gerd. She's a sweet, shy little thing and I am rather fond of her.

Njord survived his wounds, and continued his duties as God of the Wind and Sea. Although his marriage with Skadi was not a happy one, he hasn't remarried, although Freyja often gripes to me of his various escapades. Perhaps he simply loves his freedom.

Thor and Sif had two darling twins, a son they named Magni and a daughter named Thruer. They are beloved by all, and especially spoiled by Aunt Rani and Uncle Loki. Loki has a certain way with children, and they adore his mischievous ways. Oh, and Sif's hair grew back longer and thicker than before. But she tells me that she misses the short Jotunn-made haircut. "It was so much less work!" she swears.

Odin and Frigga are happy to have peace in Asgard once again. When they are not doting on their grandchildren, they sometimes come visit us in Laufeyson. "It's more peaceful out here," Odin tells us. He and Loki are growing closer, and have come to understand each other better. This has benefited my husband more than I can say. Frigga thanks me to this day for bringing Loki the happiness he deserves. Each time, I tell her that I did it all out of love. Perhaps, sometimes I wonder, I have loved him all along. It certainly seems as though we were simply meant to be.

As far as my husband goes, he is a completely different person. Sure, he is still tricky and roguish at times. But he has lost the brooding darkness that followed him for years. And I am not the only one who has noticed. Recently, Odin dubbed him the Patron of Adopted Children, a title he takes very seriously. It's quite a heavy responsibility, but Loki wears it with pride. His reputation is no longer one that carries resentment and ill tidings. And he still gives me all the credit. Well, he tries to. Usually I can shut him up with just one phrase: "You are who you choose to be."

*****THE END. *****

Author's Note: First off, I want to thank you all for reading, voting, and commenting. I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. I just wanted to share a few things with you.

If you do your research into Norse mythology, especially concerning Loki, you will see that I altered many of the popular myths. Loki often has the reputation of being malicious and dangerous. And when I got the idea for this story, I asked myself, "Why? Why would Loki be that way? Could it be that perhaps his story was simply altered through the ages, because all good heroes need a villain?" Obviously, we will never know the "real" story, and I don't for one second think that my version is anywhere close to what really happened. I simply wanted to illuminate Loki in a better light, since he has always intrigued me. After all, our past often directly affects who we become. So if our past makes us bitter or resentful, is there any way out?

Towards the end, you can see that Loki cites Rani as his savior. But if you pay close attention, you realize that she merely opened the door for him. It was up to him to take that final step, and he did. If this story had a moral, it would definitely be the last line in the Epilogue: "You are who you choose to be."

Once again, thank you so much for reading! I appreciate you all so much.

Thank you,

Samantha