Chapter Twenty Three: Loki

The reception was never-ending. Rani and I had the seats of honor before the hordes of guests. We could barely eat, for we were constantly being approached and congratulated. Odin and Frigga, seated at our table, kept sending me approving, encouraging glances. Tyr and Thor proposed one toast after another. Bragi read us poetry about happiness and love, while stealing furtive glances with Idunn, whose smile was full of desire. Yes, it was a lovely sentiment, but I was ready for it to be over before it had begun.

For as tense as I was, my new wife seemed to be enjoying herself. Whether that was because she was pleased with our marriage or just happy she'd finally met her mother, I wasn't sure. I was glad she wasn't moping like she had at the engagement party. In all truth, she essentially ignored me.

Once the plates were cleared away, it was time for the dreaded dancing. Of course, Rani and I were to have the first dance.

While the bards played a slow interlude, I obediently rose and asked Rani to join me. The sight of all the sappy, tearful faces around me nearly made me gag. I was not a sentimental man, nor did I understand why our little arrangement was so touching. I simply did what I was supposed to, like a good boy. There was no romance here.

Rani and I took center stage as the music began. I laid my hand upon her hip, and lightly grasped her hand with the other. I could hear the sighs of my parents, and the low chortle of my brothers. But I kept my eyes on Rani's face. She did look lovely today. White was very becoming on her. We swayed and swirled to the sound of harp and flute. As long as I ignored the people staring at us, I was fine. Rani was not looking at me, but rather at the floor. I was nagged by guilt, knowing how much I must have hurt her at the engagement party. That was not what I'd meant to do. I would have to apologize eventually.

The song ended, and we stepped apart courteously. Everyone clapped, and other couples rose to have a go at the dance floor. Freyja rushed forward and stole Rani from me, laughing. I smiled kindly, and went to leave the dance floor.

"Not quite yet, Son," Frigga said slyly as she cut in. "I'd like a dance with my dear boy."

Rolling my eyes good-naturedly, I conceded. Mother was so painfully happy. She beamed up at me while we danced.

"I'm so proud of you, Loki," she gushed.

"Thank you, Mother," I replied. "So long as you are happy." I wasn't sure what I'd done, other than obey.

Mother raised an eyebrow. "You will see," she said knowingly, "you'll be very happy I set this all up one day."

"One day," I repeated, looking over her head to see Rani and Freyja chattering madly as they danced.

"How was the reunion with Kara?" Mother asked, changing the subject.

"So-so," I answered, cocking my head. "She just told me not to hurt Rani. You know, crazy-Valkyrie-mother stuff."

Mother laughed. "Doesn't surprise me," she chuckled. "She never wanted to give Rani up. But she couldn't care for a child, not being a Valkyrie, bless her heart. She seriously considered giving up her wings. And Skadi wouldn't let Njord keep poor Rani. We persuaded Kara to keep her wings, and promised her that Rani would be safe in Midgard. And of course, Kara kept an eye on Rani herself."

I nodded, enjoying this new information about my new wife. “But why was she sent to Midgard? Why not just set up in Vanaheim or somewhere else?”

"I'm not entirely sure," Mother admitted. "Possibly because it was such a scandal. Midgard is relatively safe, and that way Rani wouldn't know of her true parentage until it was time. Either way, I think it benefited Rani greatly."

"How so?" I asked. I had never given much thought to Midgard, the land of mortals. And I'd never understood my brother's fascination with it. For me, it was simply another land to explore on one of my many pilgrimages. Anything to get me away from the critical eyes of my family.

"She has made the best of a bad situation," Frigga explained. "She's very humble and realistic. And very self-sufficient."

I nodded. Well, I supposed I would find that out eventually. However, I suspected Mother might have been embellishing.

Throughout the festivities, the other Aesir steadily got drunk. I cannot tell you how many lewd comments I heard from the other gods, hinting to our wedding night. I certainly almost choked on my wine a few times. Needless to say, I was quite relieved when Rani came and flopped down in the seat beside me. She was flushed and dewy from all the dancing.

"Tuckered out?" I asked. A few small glasses of wine had loosened me up, and made the crowd easier to bear. Thus, I felt more comfortable speaking to my bride.

"Very much so," she laughed, fanning herself. "When are we leaving?"

"Whenever you please," I told her. I'd been ready to leave from the start.

"Alright. Let's go," she said, rising to her feet I couldn't mask my relief.

We spent another hour saying our goodbyes. Mother and Freyja had teared up. Even proud Lady Sif had to look away. My brothers slapped me on the back and mumbled drunken comments in my ear. I kept stoic, even though I wanted very much to disappear. Finally, we made it out of the hall and I let out a deep breath. Rani was sniffling.

"Would you like to take the long way home," I asked, "or the easy way?"

Weary from such an emotional day, Rani quickly decided on the easy way.

"Alright," I said, "come here." I pulled her tight to my chest, and I could feel her heartbeat quicken. She was warm and soft in my arms. I tried not to inhale her sweet, alluring scent. "Don't let go," I said, warning her. I figured she hadn't traveled my way before.

The bright green mist of energy surrounded us, and we dissipated away from the Palace of Asgard. I could feel her breath hitch as we flew through the air at breakneck speeds. And as quickly as we had set off, we touched down in front of Laufeyson Manor. Rani swayed in my arms and looked up with wide eyes.

We were home.