Chapter Seventeen: Rani

I don't think I had ever been so happy in my life. I was now an official Goddess in my own right. As the crowd below me cheered for me, I finally felt that perhaps I was a part of something. Now, I honestly belonged in Asgard. I was a true member of the Aesir, a proud legacy of gods that had kept order in the Nine Realms for millennia!

I had to fight back the tears of joy as I thanked each and every god and goddess who came to shake my hand. I had been given a wonderful set of gifts. I was in charge of the weather, as well as the science of Navigation. I was overwhelmed with disbelief and gratitude.

Yes, I was so pleased. But now, I had to face something I feared and dreaded. I was to finally, after years of preparation and anticipation, meet the man I would marry.

I suppose most young women would be dizzy with excitement, especially if they were marrying a Son of Odin. I most certainly was not. I was honored and grateful, yes. But I was terribly nervous. The doubts came singing again. And Skadi's insults had clung to me like burrs.

I was nothing more than a bastard child, intended for the black sheep of Asgard. I winced at the cruel thought, and chided myself for being so judgmental. But still, I wondered if that was what everyone around me was thinking?

The bitter poison of doubt and self-pity began to mar the beauty of my coronation.

All too soon, I thanked the final guest, and Odin beamed at me. He was a pleasant man, even with his formidable eye and stern brows. Frigga had excused herself, and now I was alone on the pedestal with my future father-in-law.

"Well, Lady Rani," he said cheerfully, "shall I escort you do the dining hall?"

With trembling limbs, I accepted Odin's elbow. Next to his bulging muscles, my arm looked like a pale willow twig. But I needed his strength to make it from where I was frozen to the podium.

I felt all the blood drain out of my face. My palms grew sweaty, but they felt cold as snow. My lungs ached, for my breath was coming in short spurts. I could hear my pulse pounding in my ears, so loud that it seemed like thunder. My mind was miraculously blank. Each movement, mirroring Odin's, was mechanical and jerky. I prayed the AllFather didn't sense my trepidation.

And as my luck would have it, the Dining Hall was right next to the room we'd just left. We stood before the double doors, servants waiting for their cue to pull them open. Odin looked down at me with his good eye. "Are you ready, Lady Rani?"

I looked up at him, and I must have resembled a frightened little owlet, my eyes were so big. "As ready as I'll ever be," I squeaked.

Odin nodded, and the servants pulled the doors open.

They must have been expecting us, for as we entered, the room erupted into cheers. Everyone stood on their feet as Odin led me down the aisle between the long tables full of our guests. I did my best to plaster on a smile. Odin was beaming proudly. It was all I could do to keep my head up.

The aisle seemed to last forever. I was far too nervous too look up. And then, we stopped. A hush settled over my mind, even though the crowd was still clapping and shouting. Slowly, I looked up at the table before me.

There he was. All of the Gods of Asgard are handsome in one way or another. But I had never laid eyes on a man as beautiful as Loki.

He was standing beside Frigga, and towering over her by a few inches. He was lean and toned, not burly and bear-like as so many strive to be. He wore black breeches and boots, with a high-collared coat hued in green matched with gold. His shoulders were broad, and he stood proudly.