Chapter Thirty-Two: Rani

This, my first battle, was both horrifying and exhilarating. When I emerged onto the plain with my brethren I was immediately taken aback by the monstrous creatures trying to destroy us. They were disturbingly tall, towering over us, clambering upon the Palace as if it were a plaything. Their heads and faces were like masks of ice, complete with blank eyes and great horns. I hadn't witnessed anything so frightening in my worst nightmares. I was frozen in place, unsure of my role in this madness.

Praise be that Fenrir had come to me, barking and tilting his head. Adrenaline and impulse sent me leaping onto his back. How had he known what to do?

Once I was upon Fen, he galloped towards the others. I closed my eyes, visualizing myself in my armor. I felt the heavy bronze breastplate materialize on my chest, with my bow in hand and quiver on my back. I was ready. Fen led me into the fray, where I let loose my arrows with pinpoint accuracy. I rejoiced in the sound of the Jotunns' howls, their blood spattering upon the snows. We circled the battlegrounds, observing and lending support. I managed to finish off a Frost Giant that Tyr had felled, and he acknowledged me with a nod of thanks. My father was nearly ambushed, when Sif stopped the Jotunn with her wails, and I brought them to their knees. We were obviously winning this fight. There were only a few Jotunn still on the ground- they were thicker-skinned than other humanoids.

Fenrir and I were doing a second round, when I blow I hadn't seen coming sent us flying across the snow. Fenrir barked in pain, as he tumbled away from me. He must have gotten the brunt of the fist, for though I was quite disoriented, I didn't seem to be hurt. I skidded to a halt, the frigid wet snow melting upon my flushed skin. I stared up at the dark sky, snowflakes falling into my eyes. For a few moments, I was dazed and motionless.

I rose from the ground at last, but before I could get to my feet, a Frost Giant threw an icicle my way. I dodged just in time, but the sharp point embedded itself in my thigh. With a scream of agony, I fell upon the snow. I reached blindly for my bow, but it was far out of reach. I was too wounded to be able to clamber towards it.

"Well," boomed the Jotunn, "if it isn't the little red-headed fox."

I was half-blind with pain, lying on my back. The grotesque face of the Jotunn leered at me, his black eyes boring into me. "How dare you think you belong with a prince!" he scowled, moving ever closer. I saw my death in his glare. This was it. My end was so close I could taste it.

"I intend on making this as excruciating as possible," laughed the monster, stopping before me. He lifted his great frozen boot, intended to crush my body slowly beneath it.

I winced, waiting for the pain. But instead, I was startled by an ear-shattering thud. I opened my eyes to see another Frost Giant crashing into my attacker, sending him crashing to the ground. I gasped loudly, and my savior turned to look at me.

He was much like the other Jotunn, but somehow, he was also different. He had the sharp, icy horns of his kind, but his face wasn't as marred and ugly. He seemed more human-like. And he looked at me with fear, and a bit of tenderness...

My eyes grew wide and my mouth dropped as realization hit me.

"Loki?" I asked incredulously.

Sorrow clouded his eyes, before the other Frost Giant returned with a vengeance. He slashed at Loki with a chunk of ice that resembled a sword, leaving deep gashes in Loki's chest. I screamed for my husband, fear of losing him overwhelming me. His blood stained the ground, and he tried to attack, but the Jotunn held him off. I had to do something.

I looked around desperately for my bow and arrows. They were only about ten feet from me, half-buried in snow. Gritting my teeth and fighting off the faintness from my wound, I dragged myself towards my weapon. Each movement was excruciating. I could hear the fighting continue behind me, and I prayed they would not notice me.

As I dragged my raw wound across the snow, I felt tears of searing agony leak from my eyes. But I would not give up. Jotunn or not, my husband would not die.

At last, as I was about to lose myself to the pain, my hands closed around my bow. I turned, trying to string my arrow. My heart stopped, as I saw Loki lying on the ground. The other Frost Giant had turned to me. With a sickening grin, he lumbered in my direction. My hands began to shake from fear and anger, but I tightened the bowstring.

"Go to Hel," I muttered, loosing my arrow. The thin shaft flittered through the air, whistling like a bird.

It landed deep in the Giant's eye. He didn't scream. He simply stopped moving. The arrow had hit with enough force to pierce his brain. I was about to release a sigh of relief, when he started to fall forwards.

Panicked, I began to roll away as quickly as I could manage. The snow filled my mouth and nose, but I kept spinning, praying I wouldn't be squashed.

I'd made it just far enough. The impact of the giant's body sent snow flying at me, spattering across my body painfully. I lay there awhile, heaving with short breaths. I'd nearly died tonight. But my main concern was my husband.

I was far from him, and I was too weak to crawl. "Fen!" I cried. I kept calling his name, until I heard a loud limping stride headed my way. The great black wolf licked my face.

"Can you drag me to Loki?" I hissed, as he sniffed at my leg. He whimpered, but took my arm gently in his mouth. My bicep rested in the far corners of his mouth, away from his teeth. He dragged me slowly, carefully over to Loki's body. Both of us inspected my husband's injuries. He was badly wounded, and losing a lot of blood. He seemed unconscious, though still in his Jotunn state. My hand was tiny against his huge form. I didn't have time to fret over his change, though; I wanted to keep him alive.

Fenrir began to lick his master's wounds, and I looked up to call for help. A few Aesir were still fighting the remaining Jotunn. The majority of the Frost Giants were retreating. We had won the day. Only a handful of Jotunn bodies lay upon the ground. At least we had fought them off.

My vision began to get blurry. I wouldn't stay awake much longer. I slumped back against my husband's body, which was now shrinking. He looked like himself again, though he was deathly pale and covered in blood.

"Fen," I gasped, my mind dull and fuzzy, "go get help."

And then everything was black.