Chapter 9

FAWN

"I have to call Paula at 3:00 pm to schedule a day for us to review what she has so far for her book. Remind me to send out an email about the meeting next week..." I looked up at Alison, who was patiently typing away on her laptop in front of me. This was the one part of the day that was all about scheduling for me, and focusing on it. I always had to make sure that I remembered things from the day before, or just moments before, so that I could have Ali add them to my calendar. She never complained, and I never yelled. I couldn't--not at Alison.

"Forget that, about the email? I'll just send it right after this. Um, call Olivia after we're done here, schedule lunch. Well, it's already scheduled. Just let her know I'll be 10 minutes later than planned. Before you go to lunch, or after around 1:00 pm, call my mother so she can confirm the meeting with the wedding planner. Also-"

"Fawn, about the planner..." Alison stopped typing and smiled at me.

"What about the planner?"

"Your mother already confirmed the meeting."

I rolled my eyes, then groaned in irritation. Couldn't she wait? It was not like I was going to say no, but this was my wedding we were going to be planning. I wanted to be on top of this. She couldn't be running the show.

Again.

She did the same thing when we planned my engagement party. That was the last time I let her pick the food for the event.

I swear, all the food was alive.

I sighed, folding my hands together, "okay. Anyway, let Trent know that dinner tonight is on as well. I'll call him after work to confirm the details. You can call him whenever, as long it's before 3:00 pm. Okay! Thanks, Alison!"

As she's about to exit, Ali turned to me, "Fawn?"

I looked up from the work I'd already started getting back to, "yeah."

"Halloween party, is it still happening?"

Smiling, I nodded, "yes. For sure. You guys can start planning that."

"Awesome! Thanks!" She called out after she was out of sight, and my office.

After about half an hour of typing nonstop, I leaned back in my desk chair and closed my eyes.

How's Ami doing?

I shook my head, trying to stay focused. I'd already called Gillian, the new and surprisingly wonderful nanny, twice today to see how my baby was.

I had every intention of getting to the bottom of this drop off adoption thing, but I didn't expect to be so busy the last couple of weeks. Luckily for me, I had two older siblings with long lists of nannies and babysitters that they liked and trusted. It didn't take us long to pick someone who, thankfully, was available not long after.

Seeing Ami's face had definitely become the highlight of my day, but it was much harder than I thought it would be to have her here while I was working.

The reason I worked so hard when I was at the office was so that I can be out of the office by three, on most days, and spend time with the little one. A part of me felt like I should've been getting Trent some time with her, too, but...

I dialed my house number, kicking myself inwardly.

Just couldn't help it...

"Hey, Fawn. How's work going?" I heard Gill answer the phone.

"It's good. How's my girl?"

"She's doing great! We went to the park earlier and she met a friend. Well, they mostly just smiled at each other. You know, babies."