Chapter 1

FAWN

 I made my way into the Vender Publishing Co. building. I took a sip of my French vanilla as I stepped into the elevator. "22nd floor, please," I said to the lady near the buttons. The middle-aged woman smiled at me then turned around. She got off on the fifth floor and just as the doors were about to close, an attractive man got in.

    He walked onto the elevator and smiled, "Morning." My heart started pounding, "Good morning." I replied, studying his appearance. He was wearing a black blazer and black jeans. His blond hair was styled back and his green eyes sparkled, seductively. I looked away from him and I could feel his gaze on me. I looked back at him and he quickly looked away. 'Typical,' I thought. The elevator stopped at the 22nd floor and we both got out. As I headed for my office he called out to me, "Have a good day!" I looked back at him and smiled, "You too." I turned around and made my way to my office. It definitely would not hurt to see him again.

Well, as long as my fiance wasn't there. Nothing wrong with some eye candy.

     "Alison, I need Olivia Malcolm's manuscript on my desk." I told my assistant as I walked by her desk. "Which one?" she asked, causing me to turn on my stiletto heels. "What do you mean which one? There's only one." She shook her head, as though she didn't approve of the confusion, "She brought in two that day you were out visiting one of your other romance novelists." she told me, holding up two large manuscripts in front of me. I chuckled and shook my head, "Alright, leave them on my desk." I said, finally getting into my office.

       I set down my drink and immediately reached for the phone. How could Olivia pull another stunt like this? She had been acting strange, but two manuscripts again?! It's risky. "Hello?" she answered. Good thing she was home. "Yeah, it's Fawn. My secretary showed me that you left two manuscripts here. What's up with that?" I asked, not bothering to sugar coat today.

        "Look, I know you're upset. I mean, double the editing. But that second one has to be published!" she pleaded. "Why?" I asked, annoyed. "I've been wanting to do that story for a long time! Please! It would mean the world to me." she begged. "I don't know Olivia, the-" "Please! Please, Fawn!" she practically screamed this time.

       I rested my head in my unoccupied hand and sighed a long heaving sigh, "this is ridiculously short notice, and I still have to talk to my team... I'll do my best, but I'm not making any promises." I said. She squealed into the receiver, "Thank you so much!!! You won't regret this." "I'll talk to you later, Oli." I told her then hung up. Being an editor takes patience to deal with these kinds of writers; the ambitious writers.

I cracked my neck and knuckles, then shook myself off and went to work. If I was going to get out of the office before the crack of dawn, I needed to edit like my life depended on it. And there was a lot to get done. I glanced at the clock, then settled in for hours of typing, calls, and a sore butt.

        After hours of exhausting work, looking through several manuscripts, dealing with my eager writers and clients, and going through multiple cups of peppermint tea, I finally gathered my things and headed home. 

"Thank God I drive." I said to myself as I got out of the elevator and walked toward my car. I looked at my cell and saw that it was already 7:45pm. I was missing my show and now had to catch the re-run of Four Weddings.

Walking through the office, I was greeted by nothing and no one. I laughed to myself, and at how used to this I was. This was not the first time I'd gone home late, and it probably wouldn't be the last. I loved my job, and working was something that I usually looked forward to. Aside from my boyfriend, there was no one I really needed to set hours aside for. And I liked it that way.

After I set the alarm for the office, I went to wait for the elevator.

******

      I got out of yet another elevator, and took a short walk to my condo. As I looked in my handbag for my keys I heard the sound of an infant crying. 

"Who's baby is that?" I whispered to myself, still looking for my keys. I was thinking no one had a kid, from what I heard. As I got closer to my door, the crying got louder and then, all of a sudden, stopped.

     I looked up from my search and almost toppled over from shock. I carefully observed the baby that was in front of my door. She, well the baby seemed to be a she, was nicely placed in her car seat. Next to the car seat was a large bag and a suitcase. Whoever brought her here prepared  very well. I knelt down and saw some papers attached to the bag. "Adoption papers..." I whispered, not wanting to scare the little one.

     Now, most people in my situation would probably search high and low to find the baby's caregiver, as to avoid taking responsibility themselves. Which was definitely something I wanted to do. But, it being late and me being tired, I decided that all that searching could wait until the morning. She looked at me and it was as though we were somehow related. Her skin tone matched mine and she even resembled me.

"Probably a coincidence," I told myself as I looked at her. The baby's wide eyes looked like they were trying to suck up the whole world at once. She seemed at least as confused as I was. I didn't even want to think about how long she'd been sitting out here for.

     I picked up the car seat and as I opened the door I kicked the suitcase and baby bag into the apartment. I locked the door behind me and all I could think about was where this baby was going to sleep. I took my cell phone out of my bag and called my older sister, Talia.

******

"I'm so glad you called me," Talia exclaimed as she let herself in a while later.  "Talia, quiet! I just got her to sleep." I said, gesturing toward the baby girl. She looked at her and gushed, "She's so precious! Did you name her yet?" she asked. I shook my head, "I'm a bit hesitant to name a baby that isn't mine..." 

Talia sighed, "that's true... Well, you could give her a temporary name. At least until you figure out where she's gonna go."

I figured it couldn't hurt. I wasn't sure what tomorrow would bring, and it would at least make it easier than just calling her 'a baby' in conversation. 

"I should probably call Trent, right? It would be pretty awkward if he showed up and there was just a baby here."

Talia grimaced, "yeah, I don't think he's gonna take it too well."

I nodded, then sighed, "well, either way, I can figure out a name and call my boyfriend later," I told my sister. "We should get going."

******

"Fawn! She's crying!" Talia called out to me. We had driven to Walmart to search for baby supplies, especially a crib. I rushed over to the shopping cart and picked her up. "Tali! What did you do?!" I asked, trying my best to soothe the baby. It had only been a few hours and, even though she had warmed up to me, she was t completely used to me. "She looked hot so I was just unzipping her sweater. When she opened her eyes and saw me, she started crying," she told me, shrugging.

     "How about I take care of the baby while you look for the things she needs," I told her. She nodded, more than happy to agree with that idea. I looked at the baby as I rocked her back and forth. "I know the perfect name for her..." I told my sister as she smiled at me. "Ooh! What is it?" she asked, eagerly. I looked at Talia then back at the baby. "Fawntessa," I said with a smile.

     Talia blinked at me as though I was crazy, "You serious right now?" I looked her dead in the eye...then burst into laughter. Well, soft chuckles. "Of course not. I'll name her Ami Rosa Bonheur." I said, sincerely as I looked down at her. Talia looked satisfied as I said this seriously, "Now that's a good name."

*********