Chapter 14

FAWN

"Good," she uttered, turning her back towards him. She wouldn't dare cry, as it would give his ego the boost it craved. Her pain was his pleasure, every tear and scream had him smiling.

Smirking would be the better word for it. The slight curve of his lips, that mischievous spark in his eyes. It riled up and excited her so greatly.

And she couldn't stand it.

Fear slowly crept its way into her as she awaited the descending footsteps, or her front door shutting as he left her there to feel.

She knew what was coming next, knew that it could have the power to shake all the resolve she had left. Yet, she couldn't bring herself to stop him.

Warm hands encircled her waist, rough stubble touched her cheek, and the smell of him filled her senses. She closed her eyes slowly, "stop-"

"No," he whispered into her ear, sending shivers through her body. He tightened his hold on her just enough, bringing his body up against hers.

"I'm not going anywhere..."

"Dammit," I exclaimed, shaking my head. I stomped my feet repeatedly in my seated position, laughing. "I love and hate this guy... Liv's a genius."

The thing with my career is that I knew, from when I was about thirteen, that I had an eye for storytelling. I could pinpoint little details that, if changed, could take novels to a whole new level.

Seemingly small markers no one else seemed to notice. And my picky attitude towards books actually started to have benefit.

So, for a story to get me excited like this one was, it had to be something amazing.

I picked up the phone on my desk, then dialed Liv's number.

She picked up on the first ring.

"Hey, Fawn!"

"Olivia, dahling! How are you?" I asked, feigning my best 20s voice.

"I was just looking through my email while the kids took a nap. What about you, what's up?"

"Well, I was in near tears reading your manuscript! You truly have a gift, my friend," I told her.  

"You loved it that much?!"

"Yes, I did. This book is going to do very well once it's published. I'm talking signings, tours, New York Times Bestseller. You're gonna blow up!"

I could hear Liv squealing with excitement on the other line, "that's amazing, Fawn! I'm tearing up! Okay, I'll call you later. I gotta go. Thank you so much! Love you! Bye!"

"Bye Liv," I said, then hung up.

A smile spread across my face as I leaned back into my chair. It was such a relief, and a gift, being able to work with amazing authors and publish their books. Of course, it was also great business.

"Ahh, my life!" I exclaimed, putting my hands behind my head with pleasure.

My phone rings again.

"Aaagh!" I pick it up, shaking my head, "Fawn Tessa Bonheur speaking."

"Fawn," Alison spoke, sounding slightly disturbed, "your-"

My office door slammed open, and my eyes shot up to see who was trying to mess with my peace.

As I focused on who stood there, I let out a long, heaving sigh.

Of course...

Quickly erasing my frown, I smiled, "maman!"

"Ma belle cherie!"

******

"If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask one of our associates for help," the Crate and Barrel manager smiled at my mother and I.

This kind of attention wasn't surprising. I mean, of course my mother had to call a handful of stores beforehand to let them know her heiress daughter was coming.

She had them sign confidentiality agreements, promising not to leak the info about my engagement. Although sometimes I forget it, this is kind of a big deal.

Rich girl.

We thanked her as we went off to browse the store. And, of course, Ami was with us.

Her eyes were trained on my mom as she held her in her arms. I was still wearing my baby carrier, but God knows I barely used it.

"Wedding registry..." I muttered, picking up a flower patterned plate.

My mom rolled her eyes, "stop acting like you're not excited about this. I know you, and you love weddings."

"Yeah, I really do. And I'm happy we're doing this. But, mama," I turn to look at her, "this is the third store we've been to. For the registry. I'm just a bit tired, we've been at this for hours."

She smiled, then looked at Ami, "well, we're almost done. Just hang in there," she shook my shoulder lightly, as a kind of wake up call, "and smile, cherie. You have a beautiful smile."

I did as she said, fixing my facial expression.

We went onto looking at more silverware, dining room things, accents.

Eventually, finally, we made it to the bedroom section.

"Thank God," I sighed contentedly, laying back onto one of the mattresses.

My mother sat down with Ami on the mattress in front of me. Even without looking, I could feel her eyes boring into me.

"Quoi, maman?"

"What? I didn't say anything," she feigned innocence.

I sat up, looking at her.

"Just say it, mama."

She sighed, then smiled, "well, I was just wondering since we're looking at beds and all... Have you and Trenton ever...?"

I narrowed my eyes at her, confused as to what she was referring to for a few seconds.

And then I know.

"Mother!"

She threw her hands up in defense, shrugging, "I just want to know, as your mother-"

"No," I uttered, holding in my laughter, "we have not had sex."

She giggled, "okay, I'm glad. It's good you're waiting until you're married. You are waiting?"

I nodded.

"Good," she said again. "Are you still a...?"

I laughed, then put my face into my hands.

"Yes, I am. Gosh, mama," I shook my head at her.

She shrugged again, a smile on her face as she turned her attention to Ami once more.

Just as I was about to relax again, my phone started to ring.

"Hello?"

"Fawn... Hey..."

"Hey," I repled, instantly beaming.

Kevin...

*********