Chapter 15

FAWN

"Miss Fawn...tussa Buner...?" the middle-aged man at the notary looked up, confused, as he tried--and failed--to pronounce my name. 

Again.

I'd been up there an hour ago to give him, Gerry, the first half of the adoption forms. I was there for like half an hour. Even told him how to say my name properly.

But, nope!

I stood up with a smile and went over to his window, "yes."

He peered at me through his glasses, and ran his hand over his thin graying hair, "So we're going to do the rest of your adoption papers, yes?"

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah. You know, I would've come weeks ago, but I'm just so busy-"

"Okay. Can I have the other forms?" 

"Oh right," I whispered, handing him the pile of papers. It took me a few days to fill these out, there's so much information that goes into them. "I heard from some people that I'm still not the guaranteed parent-. Well, I am, but something about Social Services showing up a few times?"

He nodded absentmindedly as he looked over the signed forms. There was a lot, and he didn't say anything after about ten minutes.

"No, you won't be needing that," he told me, stamping some of the papers.

I looked at him, confused.

"Um... I won't be needing what...?"

"Social Services," he looked up, collected all the forms, and finally smiled at me. "Whoever gave this child to you went to some difficult measures to assure you custody."

"What measures?"

He shrugged, and gave me a lopsided smile, "I can't answer that question, it's confidential. But, be very happy about that. You got lucky!"

Okay... Great!

"So, is that all?" I asked him.

He nodded, "yes, that is all. Have a good day. Next!" 

"You too."

I backed away from the counter, made my way out of the office and into an elevator that was about to close right as I got to it.

"Perfect timing," I whispered to myself. I pressed 'G' then turned to face the door.

I didn't notice when I was going up earlier, but there was music playing. 

'Elevator' music.

"Hmm hmm," I hummed along, having heard the song someplace else before. I pulled my phone out of my bag, checking any messages I might have from my mom about Ami. 

There wasn't anything, so I decided to ask her how it was going.

'Hey mama! How are things with Ami? Is she giving you any trouble? I just finished at the notary.'

Send.

Ding!

The elevator opened, but I didn't bother looking up.

It's not like you know who just got in. 

Lemme check my Infinity game!

"Fawn!" I heard a male voice next to me exclaim.

I looked up, and then slowly turned my head to my right.

"Trent! What a surprise!" I said, a little too loud. 

He was smiling, apparently very happy to see me. The feeling was kinda mutual.

Kinda.

"I haven't seen you in like a week," he said, coming closer to me.

"Yeah," I nodded, "it's been a while. What have you been up to?"

Trent shrugged, "the usual. I was actually here at the dentist."

"Too many sweets?" I teased.

His gaze got a little dark as he said, "well, if that were the case, you'd have sent me into shock a long time ago."

I giggled, looking at the ground, "that's so cheesy."

He smiled, snaking his arms around my waist, and brought his face dangerously close to mine. I looked into his eyes as his smile falter, and I could see what he was imagining in his mine. Our lips inched closer, closer-

Ding!

"Oh, this is my stop," I smiled, inching my face slightly away from his.

I made a move to exit the elevator, when he pulled me back.

The doors then closed right in my face.

I turned around to glare at him, annoyed and confused, "what the hell?" 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just..."

Crossing my arms in front of me, I waited for any kind of reason. Let's face it, the likelihood of any explanation being a good one was zero to none. I mean, seriously. Who pulls someone back from leaving an elevator?

This isn't a romance novel.

"How about we go to lunch?" He finally asked.

I furrowed my brows at him, giving him a look that said, 'are you okay?'

"Seriously, Trent?"

"Yes, seriously. I haven't seen my fiancee in a week, and I just want to treat her to a nice meal... And maybe a day out..."

I opened my mouth to protest, but he spoke before me,

"is that really so much to ask?"

I looked at him, right into his sad puppy dog eyes. His bottom lip stuck out and he whined a little. And I couldn't help but laugh at him.

"Okay, okay." I gave in, and he smiled, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. "But you're buying all the food. And snacks," I pointed at him as the elevator opened once again, this time on a parking level.

He took my hand and led me out, with a smile larger than the Cheshire cat's, "that is fine by me."

*********

Oohhhh, they almost kissed!

Make sure to vote and/or comment if you loved this chapter!

Much Love!

~HanaMay~