Chapter 20

FAWN

My leg shakes as I watch the door of Cafe Cerise, waiting for Trent to show up. I wanna slap myself for even thinking it, but part of me has this feeling he won't even show.

I mean, I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't. Tit for tat, right?

Well, I'd try not to hold it against him. But, if I'm being honest, it would probably come up every once in a while.

I'm not perfect!

If there's ever gonna be 'once in a while' between us again...

Stop!

God, that's depressing.

I look around the cafe, searching for a distraction. As my eyes pan the room, I spot some cookies in the display.

Those look soft...
But I don't wanna get up!

"Is there anything I can get you, Miss?" A server asks right as I'm about to get up.

Well, deciding whether or not to.

"Yes! Could I have three of those sugar cook-. Are they soft?"

The server blinks, and I can see the wheels turning in her brain. I finally start to understand those annoying customers that ask all those questions about the menu.

And I'm really tempted to ask her,
"Have you even tried them?"

Oops.

She stares at me, shocked, as her face flushes.

"I'm uhh.. I-"

Obviously hasn't tried the cookies.

But I feel terrible immediately, especially since I didn't mean to ask that out loud.

"I'm sorry, it really doesn't matter," I tell her, dismissing the embarrassment as I wave my hands. "As long as they're soft, I'll take three of those and a decaf soy latte. Extra foam, please."

She doesn't even say anything, just nods as she practically runs away from the table.

Welp, that was painful-

"That looked painful," I hear a man say, and I turn to see Trent making his way over to me. He has this smirk plastered on his face, and he's clearly been in here for a few minutes.

We look at each other for a little while, when he finally says, "hey."

I straighten up in my side of the both, clearing my throat.

"What's up?"

"Life, I guess..." He takes off his coat, then sits down in front of me, "what's up with you?"

I shrug, "not too much."

Trent furrows his brows and laughs, "well, you did ask me to meet you here so-"

"Yeah, sorry... I think we should have some food in front of us first, huh?" I nod, smiling wearily at Trent. He seems hesitant, but I can see his body relax slightly.

"Sure."

"I got-"

"An extra foam decaf soy latte?" He asks with a confident smile.

I stare at him, surprised he still remembers. No, that he even knew my favourite drink. We did hang out a lot in school, but a good chunk of the conversations I remember were about him. Or maybe I've just remembered it all wrong.

My fingers drum at the table, and before I can respond, the server is back with my latte and cookies.

"One decaf, extra foam soy latte, and three soft sugar cookies," she exclaims, placing everything onto the table gently.