Chapter 10

FAWN

"Is this the place?" I asked Trent, as we pulled up to a restaurant downtown. You could see the warm lighting through the large windows, even through the eggshell curtains. The name, Bellissimo, led me to believe it was our destination, despite the fact that we were in the heart of Little Italy. All in all, this place looked expensive, and that's what Trent likes.

"Yes, it is," he said, parking in front where the valet was located. Turning to me, he smiled, "how'd you know?"

I picked up my purse, opening the door, "lucky guess."

Walking into the restaurant, after valet took his car, I could smell the aroma of scented candles, some cologne and perfume, along with hints of food.

"Table for two," Trent said to a man at reception, "under Branson."

After tapping around on his screen, he smiled up at us, picking up two menus.

"Right this way."

We were led through tables of families, friends, doting couples, laughter and smiles. Everyone looked happy. The kind of happy you see in a Cola commercial.

"Thank you," I said to the man, taking a seat at our table. His silver plate name tag red Kevin, and the doctor'a face immediately came into my mind.

I wonder what he's doing right now...

"Your waitress will be right with you," Kevin said, then left our table.

In a matter of seconds, Marie, our waitress, was at our table. She looked different from the other waiters and waitresses here. It wasn't her skin; there were other African-Americans working here amongst the diverse staff of Bellissimo.

Her hair was tied back in a bun just like the other staff who had long hair. It was bothering me, because I felt like I knew her, she seemed familiar. That's why she stood out.

But, where do I know her from?

I felt a hand on mine, giving me a gentle squeeze, "Tess?"

Blinking rapidly, I was pulled out of my own mind and deep thought. Trent was looking at me, smiling slightly. He'd been trying to get my attention.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I ordered some risotto for us to start with, and shrimp. Is that okay?" He asked in reply.

I nodded, "you asked for water, right?"

He furrowed his brows, seemingly confused, "damn I forgot and I ordered wine. I can just-"

Pulling my hand out from underneath his, I sighed. It was nice to feel the touch, too. But he ruined the moment.

"Just one or two glasses, right," I asked him.

He squinted at me, them shook his head, "...no... Why would I?

"Because... You're driving, and I don't drink."

"Well, if that's what you want, I'll just take it home," he gave in.

I smiled, appreciatively, despite part of me feeling like a controlling girlfriend.

"This is the smart choice. Imagine the headlines," I told myself. "A-Lister, Trent Branson, caught with a DUI in Little Italy!"

No, thank you!

"You're so cute, Kev!" I heard a woman say. I turned my head toward the voice, though I knew it wasn't my Kevin she was talking to.