Chapter 2

"That'll be $1,347.50," the cashier looked at me after she read the total. I got some good glares and stares from some other customers in lines and at the registers. I don't why they were looking at me, like baby stuff didn't cost a fortune. Talia smirked, then went back to tickling Ami.

"Debit," I said as I pulled out my card. The cashier nodded and I punched in my pin.

"Do you think this was a little overboard for 'temporary'," I asked Talia in a hushed tone as I grabbed my debit card from the machine. She shook her head, "temporary doesn't have an exact time line, and it's better to be prepared. I think you're fine."

 The cashier ripped the receipt from the printer, stuffed it into one of my bags, then looked at me. "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!" she smiled as I walked off with the cart, Ami and my sister.

  "That was such a fake smile..." Talia whispered as we walked away, handing Ami to me. I looked at her and nodded in agreement, "Someone doesn't like her job."

"Probably not," Talia unlocked the car and started putting stuff in the back.

"Can you put the car seat in, too?" I asked after she was done loading. The amount  of stuff we bought was just wild. Diapers, bottles, a stroller, car seat, clothes, shoes, food, lotion, baby oil. You name it, we probably bought it.

  "Sure thing," she replied as she closed the boot. When she was done assembling the car seat, I put Ami in then got into the driver's seat. Talia looked at me, like I was crazy or something, as she stood next to the driver's door. 

"What?" I asked. I was about to put start when she grabbed my hand. "What?!" I asked, irritated as I looked at her. 

"You should be in the back with the baby."

I rolled my eyes then got out. I understood what she was saying, but I loved her car!

I wanted to drive it!

"I wasn't going to let you drive," she said as she started the ignition. I looked over at Ami and she was staring up at me. "I wonder who your mommy is..." I whispered as I let her grab my pinkie with her hand.

"Whoever it is, she must be your look alike," Talia said as she broke at a red light. I looked at her and laughed, "What do you mean?"

Now it was her turn to chuckle, "What do you mean 'what do you mean'? Can't you see it? That baby looks just like you."

I looked at Ami again. She smiled and I couldn't help but smile back. It just melted my heart.

"Well, that's just a coincidence," I told my sister. Though, it felt more like I was trying to convince myself. I tried to keep my mind off the fact that it seemed like more than a coincidence. 

******

"Alright! The crib is-" my sister made a large gesture toward the crib we bought. Just as she did, it fell apart.

"A complete disaster."

I shook my head, looking at the crib. I was holding busy holding a sleeping Ami in my arms and, at that moment, the only options for her were the car-seat, or my bed. I looked down at her, and she was completely knocked out. She must have been exhausted from the long day. I know I was. 

"So, what now?" I asked Talia. She shrugged, "well, you could go the old-fashioned way and sleep in the same bed as her. Mama did it. I did it. You can, too." 

I looked at Ami and thought about it. "I don't want to squish her..." I said insecurely.

Talia shook her head and laughed, "You won't. Trust me. I had the exact same fear as you did, and my Lea, Daniel and Isaac are still alive."