Chapter 24

KEVIN

"It's been a while since I've watched Inception..." I whispered to myself, scrolling through my streaming app. "Oh, but Interstellar... Maybe Spy..." I continued to weigh my options, then decided on Inception. As I started the movie, I glanced over at the time on my watch.

8:30 PM

I'd only been outside of Fawn's door for about twenty minutes, and I had used that time to look over my schedule for next week. This was a good opportunity to get my things in order, while I gave Fawn some time to just be, as well as show her that I was serious about her.

My plan was simple; sit out here as long as possible, and wait for her to at least tell me what she needed. Well, at least until midnight at the latest. I figured any longer than that and I'd seem like some kind of a creep.

"So, if I see her at this time in the morning, then I'll be able to make that basketball game with my old resident class..." I said to myself, glaring at my calendar. I was so used to working all day that I didn't realize I kind of overbooked myself. I made all this time for my patients that I hadn't done much with my friends or family recently. Aside from my lunch with Rudy early today.

It took me a while, but I finally finished arranging my schedule to fit in a social life. And with plenty of time left to watch my movie.

"Here we go..." I rubbed my hands together as it started, and got ready to possibly be confused. But, this time would be different, because every time I watched Inception I understood it more. Worst case, I'd just look up the explanations.

Twenty or so minutes into the movie, I heard Ami crying behind the door. I tried to ignore it, since it had nothing to do with me. But she was so loud I could hear it through my headphones.

"Maybe I need new headphones..."

"How do I know you can deliver?"

"You don't... But I can. So, do you want to take a leap of faith..."

WAAHHHHH!

Ami continued to cry. I felt concerned at this point, because something might've been very wrong.

Was Fawn okay? Did she pass out or lock herself in the bathroom and...?

I paused the movie, then stood in front of the door, ready to break it down. I was about to knock when I heard the sound of Fawn's voice, singing to her baby. It was barely legible from where I stood, but I could still make out her voice.

"Shhhh... You are so loved baby girl..."

My body relaxed, and I went back into my position on the floor. As soon as I sat down, my stomach started complaining.

"Welp. Might as well order something."

******

"Thanks man," I gave the delivery driver a twenty as he handed me my bag of Korean take out. He gave me a big smile, "no problem. That's a generous tip."

I shrugged, "you deserve it."

"Have a good night," he said, turning to leave.

I sat back down on the ground, unlocking my phone to continue my movie as I ate my dinner. Since my earbuds were in, I didn't notice the elevator arriving on the floor we were on. I also didn't notice the driver walking back toward me until I saw a shadow on my screen.

And I swear my soul escaped me.

"Geez! You tryna give me a heart attack?" I clutched at my chest as I looked at the guy. He laughed, "my bad, I mean no harm."