Chapter 19

FAWN

I reach for a big Pikachu toy behind me, then put it in front of Ami, "look!"

"Ahhhh!" She exclaims, reaching out for it. Her little arms do their best to wrap around the teddy, but she only manages to grab two little sections.

We're sitting on the floor of our living room, enjoying some time together. For once in the past few months, I have a good chunk of down time. I don't have any books to edit and publish right now. Well, I could, but I have handed them off.

And, of course, my mother would like me to spend this precious time tasting cake and trying on dresses for the wedding. But, I can do all of that later.

Kids grow up, whether you're paying attention or not.

My phone starts ringing as I'm playing with Ami. I look at the screen and see that it's my friend, Nia. She's my soul sister, and the reason I'm going to have a maid of honor and matron of honor at my wedding. No way was I gonna pick between Nia and Talia.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Hey! I'm actually in the area and thought I'd drop by. Are you home?"

"Yeah, I'm here with ma baby. What does in the area-"

"Yay, I'll see you soon!"

She then hangs up, suddenly. I look at my phone for a second, then shake my head.

"Okay cherie," I stand up, then pick up Ami, "it's time for a healthy snack!"

We make our way into the kitchen, and I open the fridge to some already prepared meals, which makes things a lot easier for me. Ami keeps herself busy with one of my braids, smiling as she tugged at it.

I reach into the fridge, grabbing a bottle and a small container of mashed veggies and potatoes, when I feel a hard tug at my scalp. The things in my hands almost drop as I yelp in pain.

"OW! Ami," I look over at her, and she's in shock from my outburst.

I can't help but laugh, finally taking the stuff out of the fridge, then kicking the door closed. She seems very confused at my pain, as all she was doing was having fun.

"Alright, let's get this food in your belly-"

"Fawn!" I hear someone yell before they knock on the door, very loudly. Ami's head swings to where the sound is coming from, then back to me.

I put down the food then head to the door, taking my time as I open it.

"Nia."

"Fawn," she exclaims, reaching out to wrap her arms around me. She stops herself, though, not sure if she should hug Ami too, "and baby!"

Ami looks Nia up and down, before giving her a very small smile. They don't spend that much time together, as it's not the best idea to take your child everywhere with you.

I step aside, letting her walk into the condo. Nia looks around, sighing as though it's been forever since she's been here. "The place looks nice," she says, smiling as she looks around, "I like the new furniture. Oh! I brought three bottles of sparkling lemonade, The Proposal, You Again, Ratatouille and The Incredibles. Man, I hope they make a second movie."

"Our favourites, you already know. And I got all that new stuff, like, four months ago. You've seen it already," I tell her, walking over to the table to put Ami in her high chair. I put her in, then pull the chair and food into the living room so Nia and I can talk.

Nia shakes her head, putting her removed shoes near the door. She sits down on one of the couches, shaking her finger, "no, I haven't. I haven't stepped foot in here since right after Ami came along. You don't notice, but I'll either pick you up outside your place, you'll pick me up, or we'll meet somewhere. You crash at my place more often than I do yours."

Feeding Ami, I think about it for a second. Which, apparently I never do, and she's right.

"That's weird."

"Meh, it's whatever... So..."

I'm busy making sure Ami eats everything in her bowl, so I don't notice that Nia is looking at me for like five minutes. Very creepily just staring, waiting for me to notice. And it is so weird, she can go so long without giving her eyes some moisture.

Like, blink already, geez.

I fail to ignore her, though, rolling my eyes, "what?"

"Why isn't Trent, your fiance, having some quality time with you and his future step-daughter?"

My chest rises then falls, continuously, as I don't want to answer this question. I've been avoiding any topic related to him, and I would like to have kept it that way. I mean...

"It's not my fault he's acting like a child-"

"What did you do?"

"I-" I groan, about to protest when I stop myself. "What makes you think I did something?"

She shrugs, waiting for my answer. I give my focus back to my baby, whose eyes are darting between me and my friend. She's soaking all of this up, as best as she can. I really wonder sometimes how much she understands.

"I told him that I was see...." I mumble the end, hoping Nia didn't hear it.

"What? I couldn't understand you."

You weren't supposed to.

"I told him that I was, or I guess am, seeing someone else. And that it shouldn't be a huge deal because we're only engaged so he can get his inheritance or whatever. I mean, it's stupid, right? That we're even getting married. I don't love him! He definitely doesn't love me. Plus, he pisses me off. Like, why is he even mad?"

My eyes go to Nia for a response, but she's just quiet.

"Nia."

"I honestly think that you care about him."

"Oh!" I get up then, taking Ami out of the high chair and grabbing the dishes. Nia's laugh fills the room, and I know what she's going to say next. I don't want to hear it though.

"Fawn, I know you," she says, following me into the kitchen. "Getting engaged like that does nothing for you. I mean, I don't get why you did, but that's not important right now... You should call him."

"Why?"

"What do you mean?! It's obvious he cares, too. Otherwise, he wouldn't be upset. The man caught feelings, thought he was your only, and now he feels like there's no hope for him," she touches my shoulder when I try to make my escape, "and... No future for the two of you."

Nia's reasoning starts to hit home, and I am really thinking about what she's saying to me. This whole thing is stupid, annoying, and confusing. I don't even know what I'm doing half the time.

I mean, Kevin is so amazing. He is sweet, kind, funny, sexy. The man is a freaking pediatrician, like, jackpot! The whole package just happened to be recommended to me by these women I've come to trust. He is so good.

Trent, on the other hand... God is he something else. I know his past, the dirty secrets. The things, and women, he's done. He was definitely not husband or father material. I mean, does he even cook or clean? I haven't been in his condo recently, but I'm pretty sure he has hired help.

Everything has been given to him his whole life. Yes, I'm rich too, but I was taught the value of money and people. He just flaunts it.

...But he...

Damn it.

"Fine," I tell my stubborn friend, "what do I do now?"

Nia is taken aback, and confused. "Wait, does fine mean I'm right or?"

My free hand waves her off, "yes, yes, now what do I do?"

Nia doesn't hold back this time, engulfing both Ami and I in a tight bear hug. Well, she mostly hugs me as she squeals with joy.

"This is gonna be so much fun!"

*********