Chapter 4

FAWN

"Here we are," Trent announced as we pulled up to The Pickle Barrel. He came around and opened the door for me. I looked for my baby carrier in Ami's baby bag. 

"What are you doing?" Trent asked, still waiting for me at the car door. "I'm looking for my- Here it is!" I strapped it around myself and gently put Ami inside. She was still young, so it was better for her to face me. More comfortable that way.

"When you get older, I have to get your Jajja(grandma in my language) to show me the African tie," I said, slowly getting out of the car. 

"Well, that's if you're still here," I muttered to myself.

Trent closed the door behind us and led the way inside. He walked up to the host's desk and smiled at the lady there.

"Welcome to the Pickle Barrel. How may I help you today?" She asked, professionally.

"Reservation for two. Under the name Branson." He told the host.

"Oh, Mr. Branson. We've been expecting you. Right this way, please," she smiled then picked up two menus and led us to our table.

"Your server will be right with you." She said, smiling at the both of us. "By the way, your baby is adorable. The two of you make a lovely couple," the host whispered, moreso to me.

I couldn't help but smile, "Thank you very much." With one last nod, she went back to the front.

"What did she say to you," Trent asked, the curiosity apparent in his expression.

"That we make a lovely couple," I told him, my cheeks a faint pink. "Did I thank you, by the way? For lunch?"

"Yes, but we haven't started eating anything yet, have we," He asked, taking a look at the menu. After a few moments, he looked up the menu and winked at me.

  I smiled, then looked down at Ami, who was still asleep. I'd had my share of babysitting my nephews and nieces. Being the youngest of three, I was 19 when Talia was 27 and our brother, Tyler, was 29. He had his first two years ago where she had hers 6 years ago. But even with all that time babysitting, I'd how much babies really just slept.

A server approached our table as I was lost in thought. Despite mine and Trent's attention being focused elsewhere, she started her spiel.

"Good afternoon. I'm Sara and I'll be your server today."

I looked up at the waitress and gasped when I saw her. "Sara? Oh my goodness, it's been so long!" I exclaimed.

Her face lit up and she gave me a hug. "Yes, it has. A few months, I'd say. What have you been up to," she asked.

"Oh, this and that. I thought you got promoted?" I asked and her expression dropped.

"That's what I thought, too. But I got demoted when I took a vacation. It was much needed, might I add. Anyway, who's this little one?" She queried, quickly changing the subject.

"This is my-" I paused, then just smiled and said, "Ami."

"She looks just like you. I-"

"This is a restaurant, Sara, not a club. Get on with your job." The manager walked by swiftly.

"That's my boss. Anyway, we'll continue later. Have you decided what you'd like to order?" She asked Trent and I. We both nodded and she smiled. 

"I'll have the shrimp linguine, thank you." I said and she quickly wrote it down.

"Well, for starters we'll get the Mac' and Cheese Poppers. I'll have the P.B House burger. Root Beer for the both of us and we may get desert later. Thanks." He smiled at her and she tried to act professionally, but I could see her goofy side clearly. She walked away and mouthed 'nice catch!' to me before heading back to the kitchen.