Chapter 5- Karma

Chapter 5- Karma

*Joey’s POV*

“Joey? Yeh? Dan's guy?” The driver asks as the car hurtles along the black streets.

“Umm…yes.” I say, looked at the figure in the seat next to me, shrouded in shadow.

“Right, where is Dan?” They ask, not moving an inch.

“Dan?” I ask, confused.

“Dan! Where is he!?” They demand.

“Oh! Um, I dunno.” I say and the driver lets out an exasperated sigh and mutters something. “Hey, where are we going?” I ask, “Who even are you?” As it dawns on me I haven’t a clue who I am actually talking to or where they are taking me.

“You probably won’t remember, you always were a bit of a goldfish. I’m Kara, but most people know me as Karma.”

“Why?” I ask.

“Because it’s my job.” She replies and I nod as if I understand…which I don’t, but there are more pressing questions to be asked.

“Got any fish and chips?”

*Danny’s POV*

“So here it is merry Christmas

Everybody's having fun

Look to the future now

It's only just begun”

I stick my head out of the bedroom door, for a moment completely forgetting my guests. I am soon reminded however by the sight of Sean stood by the stove, a frying pan in hand, wearing a snow white puffy dressing gown, dancing around singing along to the radio. I stand still for a moment, taking in the sight of my brother, a huge grin spreading over my face. He flicks the pan and something flies up and at that moment he notices me.

“Danny!” He exclaims, just as the half cooked pancake falls from the sky to land on his head. I burst out laughing, unable to control myself, for a moment he just stands there, the pancake falling limply in front of his face, and then he too begins to laugh. Suddenly the song changes and I can’t help but sing along.

“Snow is falling, all around me,

children playing, having fun,

tis the season for love and understanding,

merry Christmas everyone!”

“Honestly, it’s only the first of December!” Luke says as he sits up, rubbing his face as he pulls himself off the sofa.

“So!?” Sean says, laughing and Luke smiles, shaking his head.

“Seriously, next you will be putting the tree up and eating mice pies by the fire!”

“Why not?! It’s never too early for Christmas!” Sean says. “In fact, how about mice pie pancake?!”

“Mice pie pancake?” A familiar voice asks.

“Mark?!” I exclaim. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m a guest at hotel O’Donoghue! What does it look like?” He says with a grin and before I can question any further Sean calls out.

“Right, who wants the first pancake?” he asks and there is a chorus of “Me! Me!”

“I’ll have a mice pie pancake with ice-cream.” A voice says from behind us and we all turn to see Guy stood in the doorway to the bedroom.