Chapter 9 - The Stupendous Properties of Hot Chocolate

*Eoin’s POV*

I slowly get to my feet; my knees protesting after spending so long crouched down. I sigh, looking solemnly at the stone in front of me. It’s been so long now but it still hurts, it always hurts and I guess it always will. I mean I don’t cry and sob anymore like I used to, but it doesn’t stop that feeling in my chest, the weight on my heart, the sense of total loss and loneliness; that is always there.

 I turn and begin to walk back along the neat line of graves towards the cemetery gates. Suddenly I stop and listen; there is an eerier sound on the wind. Someone nearby is crying. I should just leave, it’s a graveyard; the sound of crying shouldn’t be out of place. I can’t interfere with someone’s mourning. I’m just about to start walking again when out of the corner of my eye I spot a figure on the ground, sat by a grave a few rows from me. I try and tell myself to leave but something in me won’t allow me to. Suddenly something clicks inside my head as I stare at the back of this woman’s head…at the long black hair falling in beautiful waves; Cat. My immediate instinct is to go to her; however is that best for her? Would she just want me to leave her alone?  It’s like the devil and the angel, both yelling different things at me; the only problem is I can’t figure out who is who.

I turn away from her and take another step towards the gates however at that moment I hear the most heartbreaking sob and I can stand it no longer. I turn and slowly make my way through the sea of headstones towards my damsel in distress.

“Here,” I say, holding out a tissue to her as she turns in surprise to look at me, her face tear stained, a slight black hint under her eyes. “I couldn’t find a silk handkerchief so this will have to do.” I say and a tiny hint of a smile creeps onto her lips as she takes it.

“Thanks.” She whispers, her voice hoarse. “What are you doing here?” She asks as she tries to dry her eyes.

“Visiting an old friend.” I say before looking at the gravestone in front of us. “Who was she?” I ask, reading the inscription. I see Cat’s bottom lip quiver slightly as she looks at the stone again.

“She’s Autumn, she’s my daughter.” Cat says softly.

“Daughter?” I say, unable to keep the tone of surprise from my voice as I read the dates on the stone.

“Not by blood…but she was practically my daughter. And I loved her as a mother.” She says, fresh tears beginning to form in her eyes. I bend down and put an arm around her and she buries her head in my shoulder. I want to ask more, but I can’t, after all, curiosity killed the cat.

“Come on, let’s go home.” I whisper to her and she nods into my shoulder. Slowly I help her to her feet, keeping my arm around her and for a moment we just stand and look at the grave. She rests her head against my shoulder and I gently, comfortingly, rub her arm. Slowly she raises her hand to her lips, kissing her finger tips and blowing it towards the grave.

“I love you sweetheart.” She whispers, her voice shaking slightly and I smile sadly.

“She knows, princess.” I whisper, kissing the top of her head, “She knows.”

 *Guy’s POV*

"Look, I don't love you! And I'm sorry, but I have to go!" She says, every word slowly twisting something inside me.

 "You don't mean that." I say, my voice deep and steady.

"I do! Please, get out of my way!" She cries, trying to push me aside so she can leave. "Guy let me go!" She cries but I don't move.