Chapter 12 - The More You Ignore Me

Chapter 12 – The More you Ignore Me

*Mark’s POV*

The door shuts behind me, the sound echoing around the quiet house. I stand in the hallway, just gazing at the shoes scattered there. Callum’s ‘Tardis Blue’ shoes in an untidy heap mix with Finn’s dirty white ones. Lyla’s little shiny red ones by the wall, one toppled on one side. A small sad smile slips onto my face as I think of them until suddenly, a small, broken voice calls out from the dimly lit sitting room.

"Mark?" she calls and something moves in my chest. Slowly I walk forwards into the doorway, my eyes on the ground, afraid to look up. "Mark" she whispers, her voice choked slightly.

 "Hey" I say, quickly, biting my lip, trying to keep my emotions under control.

 "Hey." she says back. A silence falls on the room and I begin to study a small stain on the carpet, trying to work out what it could be, before Rina speaks again.  "Come on, take your shoes off, I just hovered." she says, trying to bring some friendly cheer to her voice. I sigh, pushing my shoes off with my feet before turning to look at her. She is sat on the sofa, looking at me from over the back of it, her eyes and nose slightly red, her hair un-brushed and the spark gone from her eyes. I feel tears build up in my eyes as I look at her, my beautiful Rina, and find my legs beginning to walk until I'm stood by the sofa. She smiles at me, holding out a hand to me and I, slowly, slip mine into it. If this was a Disney film I feel warm sparks would have showered out from her touch, and beautiful fireworks would be seen in the distance. She pulls me down into the sofa, into her arms, and I cling onto her for dear life. She kisses my neck and I feel the wetness of her eyes against my skin before she takes a shaky sigh and pulls back. "I've been calling you." she whispers.

 "Have you?" I say without even thinking.

 "You know I have Mark." she says as I realise she has taken my phone from my jacket pocket. I sigh, knowing I have no cover for my actions, nor an explanation. "You changed it." she whispers suddenly, looking down at the phone. My eyebrows furrow in confusion before she tilts the screen towards me and I see 'missed call from Rina (92)'

 "Devil Woman...was unfair; you aren't a devil, not even for a joke." I whisper. She smiles a bit, her eyes shining with tears,

"I rather liked it." she says and I look at her, unable to hold back the tears anymore.

 "Oh ginger, where have you been?" She asks, her own voice breaking with tears as she pulls me into her arms again. I cling to her tightly, wanting never to let go, I’ve been a fool, I know that, why ever did I think distancing myself was a good idea? I belong here, in her arms, and I couldn’t leave them, even if I wanted to.

*Cat’s POV*

“Ow...ow...ow...ow" Sally says with each step she takes along the pathment. "Fucking shoes!" she mutters and I smile.

 "Why did you buy them?" I ask

 "Why?! Because they are gorgeous!" She says looking down to admire the pale pink heels and I raise my eyebrows.

 "If you say so" I mutter as I watch as she tries to take another step.

 "Ow!" she cries and I sigh,

 "It will be new year by the time we are back at this rate." I say, glancing at my watch and Sally sighs before slipping off the heels, revealing the large tear in her tights where the shoes have rubbed away at her feet. I grin as she picks up the shoes ad begins to walk, practically bare foot along the street.

 "You’re mad." I say watching her.

 "And you’re the one who wanted to go faster, come on." she says and I shake my head, grinning, before following her.