Chapter 12 - Three Wishes

"Serena, come down here!"

I heard my mom ordered from downstairs. Heaving a sigh, I took off my reading glasses and placed the book I was reading on the bed – not forgetting to put the bookmark. Gee mom, it's Sunday morning and not to mention I got home pretty late last night – around 1 in the morning. For a girl like me, it's quite an achievement to get back home that late, moreover Clayton Wade was my ride home.

And yes, Clayton took me home last night.

How?

Let me tell you why; so last night at the party when we played truth or dare Brody was dared to drank 30 bottles of beer, to which he happily accepted eventhough I was severely against it. I even offered to take the dare in his place, however Brody being the idiotic kid he was, refused my offer and drank thirty bottles of beer himself. And as result, Brody was drunk as fvck and apparently showed his true nature. He did all of the illegal things that I've only seen in movies and can't name. Thus why I couldn't ask Brody to drive me home eventhough he said he would so I asked Clayton for a ride, to which he gladly did.

I idly marched downstairs as I was out of my room. As soon as I've entered the kitchen, I approached mom, who was taking out chocolate cupcakes from the oven, and took the baking tray from her hand and placed it on the kitchen counter. "So is this what I'm here for?" I asked and turned to mom.

"No," Mom dusted her palms on her apron and untied it before placing it on the kitchen counter next to the baking tray. "I told Sarah you could babysit—" She stopped her sentence as she eyed me up and down with her brows wrinkled. Mom sighed and massaged her temples. "Can you please wear something presentable? Serena, honey, I'm pretty sure I bought you way nicer clothes than that," Mom said and pointed at my certified ugly t-shirt.

"Wha—Mom you bought this," I protested and rolled my eyes. Funny how my mom was criticizing ME wearing a t-shirt that SHE bought and SHE said it was ugly. WTF Mom. "Does it ring a bell?"

"Just...wear something other than that!" Mom instructed. Groaning, I lazily marched upstairs to find 'something other than' this comfortable and simple clothing. People and their demands these days. Why dress up nicely when you feel uncomfortable in it?

As soon as I entered my bedroom, I walked towards my wardrobe and pulled out my Nirvana t-shirt and denim skinny jeans. Not bothering to take a look of my face, I put on a more presentable clothes and went downstairs. When I entered the kitchen, mom was decorating the cupcakes she baked earlier with white icing. "So, is this presentable, mom?" I shabbily said and rolled my eyes. "What am I doing this for anyways? Why do I have to look presentable in my own house?"

"I told Sarah, our neighbour aka my new ladyfriend, that you could babysit her kids tonight." Mom said and approvingly nod at my clothing.

"I'm sorry, what?" I blinked a few times at her, not sure if I just heard that right.

"I was having lunch at her place yesterday and she asked if I knew anyone that could babysit for a night and because I didn't know anyone, I offered her your help," Mom smoothly explained. "You've babysat a few times before, I know you're going to do just fine."

"Yeah right," I laughed dryly. My mom is completely unbelieveable. I'm at loss for words. "Mom, I have babysat a few times and but it did not end very well. Just tell her that I have something planned today or whatever. I'm not doing it."

Babysitting the neighbour's kids means that I have to babysit Clayton Wade and his little sister. Just the thought of being in the same house with Clayton for a night scares me. As if you haven't been in the same room with him. Yeah, only for thirty minutes. We're talking about spending the entire night at his house now. There's difference.