Chapter 26 - Curiosty Killed The Cat

Serena

"Are you really okay?"

I asked Clayton for the millionth time. He has been acting weird for two weeks and whenever I asked him what's going on, he would brush it off and act as if he was okay, as if I didn't see how his face clearly says that something is wrong. Whenever we go on a date, Clayton would act like he normally would, but I could see in his eyes that he's hiding something.

We haven't been dating for a long time, but I feel like I already know a lot about him. But this time, I'm sure that he is hiding something from me.

When he's in a deep thought, he would focus on one thing that caught his eyes and stare at it while he's thinking. He scratched his eyebrows whenever he lied. He would look at me but his mind is elsewhere. He laughed awkwardly whenever someone flirted with him.

"I'm fine, cupcake," Clayton answered and chuckled. "Do I look like I'm not okay?"

Yes.

"I don't know. Are you?" I said and raised an eyebrow.

He shook his head before ruffling my hair which made me looks like I came straight out of bed. "I'm all healthy and in one piece. I'm fine, babe. Don't worry about me."

Bullshit.

I wanted to say that.

One more thing I know about Clayton; he is downright stubborn. We're both still learning about each other, but it seems like he doesn't even want me to know more about him. Ethan told me that Clayton just finds it hard to express his feelings and I have to be patient to get him to open up to me. But I beg to differ. Clayton is very good at expressing his thoughts, at least with me, he is.

"Fine." I mumbled and sighed.

I don't want to be that clingy and have-to-know-everything type of girlfriend. You know those kind of girlfriends that has to know everything about their boyfriends and forget there's a thing called personal space? I don't want to be that kind of girlfriend.

"Now, let's talk about you," Clayton said completely changing our topics. "How are you doing?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I'm just confused."

"About what?"

I took a sip of my drink before looking directly into his eyes. "You."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "What about me?" He asked confusedly.

"I don't know. You seems really distracted or bothered about something lately, and don't tell me I'm wrong because I can read you like an open book," I explained. "If we're really dating, I need you to be honest with me."

Clayton sighed and took my hands into his. "Serena Castello, I can assure you that everything is fine. Maybe there are things that I can't tell you but I promise I will tell you. I need you to trust me, okay?"

I'm not buying this shit.

But instead of arguing with him, I decided to give up now. Just like he said, he will probably tell me when he's ready to tell me whatever he's hiding. I need to learn a thing or two about patience.

"Okay." I said and sighed.

~

"So you think he is hiding something from you?" Claire asked as she sat on my bed. I asked Claire to come over because I need to tell her everything about Clayton. It has been bothering me and I need someone to talk to.

"I don't know," I answered. "Everytime I ask him what's wrong, he would just tell me everything is fine and he would completely change the subject."