Chapter 33 - Fix What We've Broken

Serena's POV

Claire and I had informed Dean about this Friday we're going to start working on the task, meanwhile Brody and Clayton are now trying to find Jenny to discuss about the task because we forced them to. I was in Jenny's place last year; paired with two boys who I've never talked to and they even didn't try to reach out to me to discuss about the assignment so I ended up doing the assignment on my own.

"So, let's talk about this morning with Dean," Claire said with her chin on her palm and smirked. "Are you two talking again or what?"

I sighed. "So, remember when you and Brody went to New York for that false alarm?" She nodded and I continued, "Well, that day I was really stressed out so I decided to skip class and guess where my feet took me? The cemetery."

"You're weird." Claire said, giving me a look.

"Wait, hear me out," I put up a finger. "I talked to Elliot for a while and think what kind of advice he would give me and what kind of remark he would say to me because I was stressing out over a boy? You know how sarcastic he was, right?" I chuckled, "And when I was busy with my thoughts, Dean suddenly appeared out of nowhere and we talked, mostly about Elliot. That's how we started talking again."

Claire nodded. "I see. That's really good though. You know? I really think Elliot would've wanted us to still be friends."

"That's what I think too," I said. "Which is why I will try to fix our broken friendship with Parker."

"Project Fixing Broken Friendship?" Claire asked and reach out her hand.

"It's on." I said and shook her hand.

I've learned some valueable lessons. Your true friends who truly love you will come back to you no matter how big your argument was and how distant you've become. Your paths will cross one way or another. It only takes a second to mend a broken friendship if you wholeheartedly want to. Maybe a phone call away or an apology away, whatever it is; it's true that one of you should try to reach out first. So, we are going to try to fix what has been broken and try to keep it fixed.

Sometimes we take too much pride in our stand and doesn't think about the other person. How they must've been hurting too and how it must've been hard for them too, it was selfish of me to think Dean couldn't be hurting more than I did and how I judged him that he moved because he was running away - maybe he did say that, but who knows maybe he moved there because his mom was diagnosed with cancer?

All of us was hurting. We all took different ways to heal our wounds and maybe for Dean was to get away from this town. I buried myself in studies and work while Claire buried herself in afterschool activities. I was quick to judge him and I admit that. We all needed time to heal our wounds and now it's time to fix our friendship. 

After the lunch was over, we all went to our class. Brody and I had math while Clayton and Claire had Chemistry. I told Brody about the project fixing broken friendship and he surprisingly cheered us on and said that Dean seemed like a nice guy after what he did for me this morning because there was no way he would've done the same thing.

"So you're saying you wouldn't defend me from Mrs. Brown?" I asked in a disappointed tone and pouted.

"You're the one at fault, why should I defend you? Besides, it's Mrs. Brown the Witch we're talking about! Remember when that one boy failed her class because he tried to argue with her? I ain't risking my grades for you." Brody explained and smiled.

My jaw dropped at his explanation. "I thought you were my best friend."

"I am, but when you're in trouble with Mrs. Brown? We're strangers," Brody said.