chapter four

Matt and I walked into the crowded Dairy Queen with almost every set of teenage eyes on us. Or Matt, as I should say. A few girls approached us and asked for pictures, but once we got our ice cream we sat in a back booth in a more private area. After a couple bites from my Cherry Dilly Bar, I went to the bathroom to make sure I still looked okay. When I walked back out, I found Matt on my phone, smiling at something. I slowly approached the booth. 

"Whatcha dooooing?" I asked suspiciously. 

He immediately looked up, startled. "n- nothing. I was gonna hack your instagram, that's all." I nodded and he placed my phone back on the table. "Sorry.."

I shrugged. "I don't really care"

He smiled and carried on with our previous conversation. Within a few minutes Cameron came back.

He held up his phone with a relieving smile. "Found it."

Later that night, Matt ended up sleeping over. I guess he always did, even on school nights. Cameron was dead asleep by 11, but Matt and I were still wide awake. I offered we go down stairs and get food. He agreed. Thank God because even after my huge dinner with steak and potatoes the chef made, I was still starving. 

We had to be super quiet, because we were supposed to be asleep by 10, but we were too rebellious for that. 

After grabbing three bags of chips, crackers and spray cheese, and some soda, we ran back upstairs, but we went to the game room and watched TV. 

"Kyra?"

"Yeah?" I responded, still staring at Spongebob, reaching for more chips. 

"I wasn't hacking your instagram today. At Dairy Queen." I looked at him. He was staring at me with a really guilty look on his face.

"I know Matt. I don't really care. I don't mind." I smiled.

"I saw your texts with that Ava girl." he admitted. 

Shoot. I dindn't erase them. I felt my face get warm. I can't believe Matt saw them. 

"She texted you, so I was gonna surprise her and text her as me, then I clicked on your messages and I saw, and I just had to keep reading. I'm sorry." he explained.

I nodded but my face just kept getting hotter and hotter. I felt my eyes swell up with tears. This was the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me. I pushed myself off the couch and walked into the hallway, pacing back and forth. I felt a tear streak down my face. I wiped it away and kept trying to hold them back. When I figured out that I couldn't calm myself down as well as I wanted to, I made my way to my bedroom and sat on my bed. After a couple of minutes, there was a soft knock on my door. "Kyra?" Matt. God damnit. I rubbed my eyes as I walked towards the door to let him in. Before I could turn around he engulfed me in a hug. 

I stood there, stiff as a board, not knowing what to do.

After a good fifteen seconds, he pulled me back, with his hands grasping my shoulders. "Why are you crying, Kyr?" I hated that question. All it ever did was make me want to cry more and more and never stop. 

I sighed. "That's the most embarassing thing that's ever happened to me." I managed to choke out, trying to stop my tears from falling. 

He pulled me back into a hug. "It's not embarassing. It's one of the cutest things I've ever read. You wrote a lot about how perfect you see me as. You said you liked me even more for the person I am than that hot guy on Vine. That's perfect."