Chapter Twenty-Five: The Capture

Chapter Twenty-Five

The looming figure of – what looks like – a warehouse, stands before us. I stare at it pushing the unease that is creeping up on me down. Things don’t feel right; we’ve gotten so close, too fast. It’s not normal and shouldn’t be possible.

            “Ready?” I ask. I hear loud swallows before I see the nods of their heads. Their own doubt and fear is radiating off of them to extreme amounts, enough that almost anyone will be able to pick up on it.

            “Guys you need to relax,” I say, “I know this doesn’t feel right but I can practically see your fear and if I can see it they will be able to.” I take a pause as my words register. “We need to be prepared and over-worrying about this is not going to change anything.”

            They suck in deep breaths of air and nod again.

            “You know you can speak,” I say with a grin. They nod again and a laugh slips past my lips. “Are you ready now?” I pack energy into my voice, trying to show them that whatever happens we still tried. That’s the most anyone can do.

            Felix lets out a whoop but I silence him quickly, we don’t want to attract too much attention. They muffle their shouts but continue to get pumped and ready for the task at hand.

            “Let’s go,” I say, putting a finger to my lips to tell them not to make a sound.

            They follow me as I lead the way into the warehouse. It’s quite eerie to creep through the halls, not hearing any sound to indicate that anyone is occupying the building. There are though, we found footprints and there are fresh trails and scents that plainly state that there has been activity in the area.

            I really tune into my hearings and hear voices somewhere off to my right. I signal to the others before I go down the closest branching off hallway, heading in the direction of the sounds. I rely on my hearing heavily to lead me in the right direction. When the voices start to amplify I know that I’ve been going the right way.

            Instead of there being a door, the hallway just leads into a large room where I can clearly hear what’s being said. I press my back firmly against the wall, to prevent myself from being seen but it also hinders me because I can’t see what’s happening.

            “So why don’t you explain to me what you see in her,” a male voice says. There’s no answer from whoever else is in the room. “Okay, well, let me go over the possible reasons.”

            There are no voices for at least a minute as if the man is lost in thought.

            “Actually how about I go over why not do like her,” the man says as a statement, not a question. “She’s a brat; she thinks about only herself, she’s easily manipulated due to the fact she lets her feelings get in the way, she doesn’t think things through, she’s irresponsible,” the man is cut off.

            “That’s not true,” I quickly recognize the voice as Damon.

            “So I finally get an answer after this long period of silence,” the man says. “How about you indulge me in why exactly you like her.”

            There’s no answer.

            “Fine,” the man says, “how about you explain to me why you never let her be with anyone else.”

            “I did so,” Damon says, “she’s dated and has had boyfriends.”

            “They’ve never been serious though, you made sure of that,” the man says. “Yes, we’ve been watching you closely even before Vampire Council came to town.”