a

The only things I could focus on was my breathing. The crisp hospital air always made my lungs feel heavy. Every time I came here they would sink a little more but this time was by far was the heaviest. I don't know if it was the cops watching me, making sure I don't leave or the lack of reason as to why I was here.

It hadn't become clear till I saw Mrs. McLain rounded the corner with her husband following in right behind her. You see Knight McLain aka the king of the school had been missing for two weeks, he hadn't shown up to classes jeopardizing his perfect gpa and Ivy League scouts. His family knew where he was but they kept it under tight wraps to preserve some kind of image, I'm pretty sure it had something to do with all the ambulances they had clouding their drive way two weeks ago. I watched them wheel him away on stretcher and onto an ambulance.

But I never dared ask. The McLain's were private people and nothing could mess up their picture perfect family not even a sick son. I watched her power walk down the hallway and as she got closer I could see her tear stained eyes. "Clara," She breathed painfully. "Could you please follow me?" She asked with her lips trembling. I nodded carefully standing up, her husband had a solum look on his face he looked regretful and distant.

We rounded the same corner to get to a silver sleek elevator. The silence was toxic, I could feel something decaying in the air. The pain stricken in their faces was enough of a warning sign as to what awaited me. The doors opened and the room we were headed to was right beside it. The dull faded door seemed to surround the removable door tag McLain.

McLain, a name powerful enough to strike me with pure curiosity. The door quietly opened to reveal familiar faces. The eldest daughter, Starry nineteen and was supposed to be in some private college across town. Michel Andrews, one of the bonehead jocks who was known for being Knights best friend. Mrs. McLain's twenty four year old sister Martha. And finally Knight in a hospital bed hooked up to machines, face covered with breathing masks completely unconscious.

Suddenly I sank deeper, everything hurt. I tried so hard to repress all my emotions just so I was to function through the day but seeing him like this made me want to scream. I was pathetic in the way I cared, I didn't even notice myself creeping closer to the bed. Holding my mouth closed I examined how awful he looked almost letting a tear fall. I had to be careful, too much emotion would reveal things I needed to stay buried.

"What happened?" I croaked. "Attempted suicide," His sister answered. Looking back at him I felt myself begin to fall apart. "Clara, please sit down," She asked me pointing to a seat in the corner. Her eyes were glossy and full of concern. Her hands shaky as she waited for me to sit down. And just as I fully sat down the question that had been suffocating in her throat leaped out in a fast rush of words. "Do you want to tell us what was going on between you and Knight?" She asked.

I felt my throat choke up as she mentioned my skeletons. There was no me and Knight. I was never worthy of a me and Knight. I kept quiet not being able to speak. She pulled out a thick black envelope and a thin white one. "Knight left two suicide notes, guess which ones yours," She said. I stared at the black envelope. "This single sheet is for everyone in this room except you and yours is a twenty eight page front and back novel," She went on a little bit annoyed.

"Ill ask again, what was going on?" She asked. The all stared at me. I still stayed quiet not sure how to put any of it in words. "Tracey give her some space its not like we don't know," She chimed in. Mrs. McLain took the black envelope and gave it to me. It had been ripped open with the paper flying all over the place. Tear stained and crumpled it looked like it had been through multiple eyes. "We weren't going to read it at first but the police insisted they needed it for evidence and once it was opened I couldn't help myself, I had to know the truth about my son," She cried.

"We'll give you some time to go through it, then we want to hear anything you want to add, please help us fix this," She asked. Ignoring her request I was still stuck on Knight. "Will he be okay?" I asked. "He'll be fine, we just want to be there for him this time make sure this never happens again," She added.

"And Clara?" She said. "Please don't tell anyone," She said with hopeful eyes.