Chapter Four: A Lost Hope

Zelda sat among the roses. Memories of times spent with Link in the Castle Gardens flooded her thoughts, often she would come there to release her stress. It had been four years after Link's ship had been attacked.

Though Zelda kept her hopes up that Link had survived. After those four years she finally gave up hope, to her, Link was not going to return. But, would if he did?

She kept herself occupied with the possibilities.

Zelda pulled herself from the ground when she heard a loud crash, followed by an unhuman noise. She started to run towards the throne room where the noise came from. Whatever it was Zelda had to protect her people from it.

The clouds started to darken into a dark grey and the air started to grow cold. Zelda burst into the throne room, but stopped short. Monsters were everywhere, her guards stood frozen in some sort of trance, and sitting in her throne was Link!

No, not Link, Zelda thought. Link doesn't have red eyes.

"Princess Zelda," He smiled a cruel and cold smile. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Dark Link!"

Zelda tried to recover from her shock and tried to calm herself. Which that's not easy to do standing in the midst of bulbins and shadow beasts. "What do you think you're doing here", she demanded.

Dark Link chuckled, "I plan to become king. Do you care to know how?"

"Not particularly."

Dark Link erupted into laughter, "To bad, I'm telling you anyways! Now Zelda, has it occurred to you that you're at the age were you should've already been married?"

Zelda's eyes narrowed, "What do you mean by that?!"

"Don't you get it? I've come here for your hand in marriage," Dark Link explained. "Consider this a proposal."

"What makes you think you'll get away with this so easily?" Zelda scowled.

"In the later years," Dark Link started, "You gave surrendered to save your people. I consider myself a reasonable man so I'll give you a choice. The hard way OR the easy way? Surrender, and except my hand in marrige, and I won't harm your people, or fight me and you'll see from there on."

"You're bluffing if you say you'll kill my subjects, you'd have no one to rule."

"I didn't expect you to figure that out...wait, are you seriously thinking of fighting me?!"

"Would it be one on one?" Zelda inquired.

Dark Link glared at her, "Don't try me, Your Highness."

Zelda called upon the Light Spirits and they granted her with the Light Arrows. The monsters were about to attack, but Dark Link held up his hand to signal them off, "We'll do this Her Majesty's way."

Dark Link pulled out a dark Master Sword and advanced towards Zelda. She shot two Light Arrows at him, but he dodged it by dissolving into shadow, and appeared behind Zelda, who preformed Nayru's Love.

Dark Link tried to dodge her attack again, but got hit by the spinning crystals of Nayru's Love. He looked at Zelda and growled, he started to mumble a dark spell. Suddenly Zelda started to feel dizzy and tired, although her attempts to keep herself awake she fell to the floor.

The last thing she remembered was the laughing of a madman.
____________________________________________________________________

Zelda woke up on the cold floor of her room. She started to get up when she heard someone open the door.

"Finally! You're awake!" Dark Link exclaimed, "Have you learned your lesson, Zelda?"

"A lesson from you?" Zelda asked, "If that's what you want me to think I'll never learn!"

Dark Link ignored her, "I plan to wed in three months."