20. Nine Cups [B.A.]

Nine Cups
{Barry x Reader}

It was slow evening at Jitters. But you and your co-worker, Jake, didn't mind it. Usually the place was packed, barely giving you any time to think about anything other than caffeinated beverages and assorted breakfast items.

"I just don't believe it," Jake was ranting, "Haley and Nathan are meant for each other, Y/N. Tell me they get back together."

You laughed loudly and covered your mouth, amused by Jake's new obsession with One Tree Hill. You almost felt a little bad for getting him hooked on it. "I'm not telling you anything," you grinned, shaking your head.

"Well, for that, you can go check on that guy." Jake pointed across the room. Your gaze glanced to where he was pointing, landing on a usual costumer, Barry. Barry was sitting alone at a table, surrounded by mounds of paperwork. You noticed he'd been here for a while, but then again, most people stayed a while to do work.

"What?" You asked, turning back to Jake. "That's just Barry."

"Well 'Just Barry' been here forever. You just poured him his eighth cup of coffee. That doesn't mildly concern you?" Jake frowned. You sighed, already knowing Barry was an odd one, but Jake was right. "You should probably make sure he isn't trying to induce himself in a caffeine coma."

"You can't say that!" You whispered angrily, smacking Jake's arm lightly. "Barry was in a coma, remember?"

Jake's eyebrows furrowed, "Seriously? How was I supposed to know that? Why do you know that?" You shrugged, not completely sure why, either. Barry must've told you some time during one of his many visits. Barry was one of the few customers you liked to talk to, because he actually talked back with friendliness.

"I talk to people," you shrugged, "But fine." You moved out from behind the counter towards Barry's table. As you approached, Barry started stacking his papers and looked up at you. He offered one of his adorable smiles.

"Hey, Barry," you smiled back, "How's everything... going?" You glanced over a half mug full of coffee, surrounded by two empty iced coffee cups, three other mugs, and never ending paperwork. Maybe Jake was right to be worried.

"Uh, everything's okay," Barry nodded slowly, "Just finishing up some work."

"Are you sure everything's okay?" You questioned, leaning on your elbows onto the tall table. "I know work can be stressful, Bear."

"What? Yeah," Barry frowned, "Everything is okay, Y/N. Although it's sweet of you to check up on me."

You dropped your smile, slipping into the chair across from him. "I know the customer's always right and all," you sighed, "But, dude, you've had eight cups of coffee and we're kind of concerned."

Barry's eyes widened, "Wha - eight?"

"Eight." You nodded in confirmation.

Barry shrugged helplessly and bit his bottom lip, looking a bit embarrassed with his coffee consumption. "I have a fast metabolism," he blurted out.

You let out a laugh. Barry was so awkward and adorable, reminding you again why he was one of your favorite customers. "Fast metabolism? You don't seem so fast," you smirked, "You've been in here forever doing your work."

Barry studied you for a second. "I like it here," he finally answered.

"And we like having you here," you replied, "As long as you're not consuming more coffee than other people do in a week."

"I'm fine," Barry promised again, "I just eat, and well, drink a lot."

"Oh, great. Your caffeine addiction became an alcohol problem?" You teased, causing another a soft chuckle from Barry.

"You're kind of funny." Barry leaned back. The smile still hadn't left his face, and now to think of it, it hadn't left yours, either.

"Uh, thanks. I try." You shrugged. "You're not so bad yourself." You glanced over your shoulder at the front counter, where Jake was watching not so subtly. You huffed, turning back to Barry.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Barry asked, gesturing over to Jake.

"Oh, no, no," you shook your head, "Jake's just a friend."

Barry nodded, folding his hands together. "Well, would you want to join me for my ninth cup?"

You couldn't hold back another concerned and kind of confused look."How will you sleep tonight?" You asked, shocked.

"A hero never sleeps," Barry grinned.

"Hero?" You questioned, crossing your arms. "You're no Flash, Barry. You're much to slow, according to all of this work."

Barry snorted, shaking his head. "You don't know me, Y/N. But I'm guessing I shouldn't have asked for another cup, huh?"

"Not after eight," you frowned. "But... tomorrow morning I'd love to accompany you for your first." You watched Barry's eyes light up at your offer. Did you just ask Barry out on a date? You couldn't believe it yourself. You could've sworn Barry was blushing, causing your heart to race.

"Deal," Barry agreed.

"Really?" You smiled, "I mean, uh, great. Great."

Barry picked up a pen and a paper, scribbling quickly on it. He slipped it over to you. "It's my phone number," he said, "Text me when you're ready and I'll be here before you know it."

"Prompt," you observed, "I like it."

"Hardly," he laughed, "Didn't we just establish I'm no Flash?" He winked at you jokingly. God, you thought, if Barry was The Flash it would be so unfair. Good looking, smart, charming, and a superhero? Not even guys like Barry could be that lucky.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Barry," you smiled, sliding off the seat. "I'm excited."

"Me, too," Barry nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow, Y/N." He gathered his stuff, standing up too.

You took one step closer to him, pushing yourself up on your tiptoes. You kissed his cheek lightly, pulling away just enough to whisper in his ear. "Take care of yourself and quit the caffeine intake for the night," you teased, "I'll see you in the morning."

• • • • •

author's note | hey, hey! happy halloween (if you celebrate that)!

so i'm currently working on some different requested imagines, and yeah. there's some exciting stuff coming soon!!!

now, just a quick question, if i made a grant gustin social media type book, would you guys read it? i really love those social media books they're so much fun, ya know? i sort have an idea brewing... so... if you want to see one, let me know ;)

anywho, hope you enjoyed this!