Chapter 1

Could this day get any worse?

I sit quietly in a coffee shop in the middle of London, a place I have visited countless times, trying not to let the teardrops slip from my bloodshot eyes.  The events of earlier today replay over and over in my head as I sip on my fourth cup of cheap coffee and try to grasp everything that just happened.

I've been planning this day for the last four years of my life. My goal was always to move to London, I always felt like I was born in the wrong city. My best friend, Claire, moved here right after high school for university. She was on a full scholarship so she didn't have a problem with moving to the U.K. early. However, for me money was an issue and it was going to take me a few years to get on my feet and earn enough to move with her. We had always had a plan, to move into our own apartment together in London and I didn't care that she had a head start. We both lived in Michigan for majority of our lives, and if you had been there you could understand why we were so anxious to get out. It was always London for us, there was no discussion on L.A. or New York, or some miserably hot place in Australia. London was our home. Claire and I had been best friends since we were young and the only thing that got me through that unbelievably long plane ride was catching up with her. I had visited her a few times since she moved, but never permanently. After I finished college in Michigan I worked as an assistant for a major real estate company. The boss was a sleaze who always hit on me but it paid well enough for me to only work there a year and a half before I had enough money to get the hell out.  We existed in each others lives, but not enough to worry what the others were doing. That's how I would describe my relationship with my parents. They had no problem with me leaving and getting away from them. When I arrived I went straight to Claire's flat in central London. Seeing her was not how I expected though.

As I stood at the huge black door, suitcases in hand, I took in the jaw dropping flat Claire was living in. It was the perfect spot and she had somehow gotten a deal with the landlord so she was renting it for almost half price. I couldn't contain the enormous grin plastered on my face as excitement was pumping through my veins. I had dreamed all my life of being here in London and now here I was and it felt cinematic.

"Claire!" I exclaimed as the door inched open revealing my old friend. I instantly dropped my bags and wrapped my arms around her neck. "You look great!" I complemented pulling away.

"Thanks," Claire replied, her voice monotone. I tried to mask the hurt that tugged at my emotions at her lack of excitement. She was probably just overwhelmed, I had decided. I awkwardly shifted from foot to foot not knowing if I should just walk in or wait until I got invited. "Emma I've actually been meaning to-"

"Who's that babe?" A loud male voice called from the end of the hallway. Claire peered back into the house, her arm barely holding open the door. I stood there muddled and confused as a tall boy with shoulder length blonde hair appeared at the doorstep wrapping his arms around Claire's waist. Claire looked panicked and folded my arms hesitantly waiting for an explanation.

"Uh, Emma this is Andy, my boyfriend. Andy this is Emma my friend from America," Claire explained.

"Oh! I didn't know you had a boyfriend Claire! Well it's nice to meet you Andy," I smiled offering my hand, which Andy just stared at. I lowered it back to my side awkwardly.

"Why does she have those bags?" Andy inquired looking quizzically at Claire.

"Well, she was supposed to be staying with us," Claire informed quietly. Supposed? My heart started beating loudly in my ears. It's just a misunderstanding, it doesn't mean anything. 

"What? No way. No way in hell. Remember what happened last time you had someone stay here?" Andy exclaimed pulling away to face Claire. This could not be happening.