Chapter 31

After a long day of editing at my new dream job, I get home to find Harry passed out on the couch, exactly where I left him this morning. Claire is curled up in an awkward position on the loveseat beside him and a silently laugh at the two of them. I quickly snap a picture of them, to use against them later on and then open up the “air horn” app on my phone. I send a blaring sound throughout the apartment and they both jump up quickly. Claire is on her feet on the loveseat striking an odd ninja pose, while Harry just fell over onto the floor, smacking his head on his way down. They both notice me doubled over laughing to myself and groan when they realize it was me behind it all.

“That wasn’t funny.” Claire screams, kicking a throw pillow in my direction.

Between my laughing fit I manage to get out, “You sure, because it was pretty hilarious from my point of view. What were you planning on doing, Claire, ninja striking me?”

“I was more useful than that loser.” She responds, pointing on the lump that was still on the floor.
“I’ll be on Claire’s side if someone ever attacks us, sorry Harry.” I say to him.

He looks up at me and I look down at him, “You don’t think I’m strong enough to protect you?” I shake my head, an amused smile across my face, like I was challenging him, “That’s it, you asked for it.” He says as he picks himself up from the floor. I stare at him dumbfounded, as he lunges towards me and effortlessly lifts me over his shoulder. Now it’s his and Claire’s turn to laugh as I scream to let me down. After a few laps around the apartment, he finally sets me down and I give him a playful slap.

“Not so funny when you’re the victim, is it?” He asks me and I respond by sticking my tongue out at him and stalking off towards the kitchen to make something to eat.

I look through the fridge and find nothing, doesn’t surprise me that those two neanderthals ate all of my food while I was at work. “Harry, can we go out tonight? I’m starving and we have nothing to eat. And I wanted to stop at that new club in town, you know the one yeah?” I ask.

“Why don’t we just order in and cuddle on the couch?” He says softly.

“We’ve been doing that for the last week.” I groan. It had been a week since he posted that instagram picture of us, and I swear he hadn’t left my apartment. Every morning when I left for work he’d still be in bed, and when I returned home he was sitting on the couch, ready to snuggle and drink tea all night. I watch Claire walk out the door, giving us some space probably. She exits the apartment leaving us alone.

Harry’s temper was slowly rising, “What’s wrong with a night to ourselves?”

I throw my hands up in defense, “Nothing’s wrong with it, it’s the weekend and I don’t have work tomorrow so I figured you’d wanna go out.”

“Well you thought wrong.” He says rudely.

“What’s stuck up your ass, today?” I spit at him.

“I don’t want the paparazzi over us the whole night. It’s kinda hard to enjoy anything when they’re there.”

I scoff, “So that’s what this is then, you’re embarrassed to be in public with me?”

He looks confused and quickly says, “What? Emma, why would you say that?”

I’m fuming at this point, and everything just comes flying out like I have no filter, “What other reason would there be? You wanna avoid the paps when you’re with me. Sorry I’m not Kendall, I know you’d love to take her out and show her to the world.”

Harry’s just as defensive as me though and he’s not backing down either, “How do I know you’re not just using me?! Do you want all the publicity on our relationship? I’m trying to look out for you, Emma. Don’t try to play the victim.”