Chapter 23

I’ve sobered up in about 10 seconds. Everything that was once in my system making me feel like I was on top of the world is gone. Everything that had just happened with Harry felt like it was years ago rather than seconds. It felt like I’d been slapped in the face with a hammer. Seeing Claire standing at me door felt like I had about a million knifes stabbed in my back. She’s standing there with black mascara that once looked great dripping down her cheeks and she tries to suppress her pain with a weak smile. It’s really not hard to tell that she’s in pain. I look from Harry to Claire and I can tell Harry has no idea what’s going on. I notice that he has moved his arm so that it’s wrapped tightly around my waist. He’s trying to protect me from this silly girl who thinks that she’s just going to be forgiven.

She’s lucky she’s been my best friend for so long.

Harry finally breaks the silence, “Who are you?” he asks her in a scary voice.

“Um, Claire. Emma’s best friend.” She avoids any eye contact with me and she’s right to do so because at the moment if looks could kill, she’d have dropped dead.

“Are you sure about that cause she doesn’t look to happy to see you.” Harry states. It’s cute when he’s protective.

“Harry it’s fine.” He gives me a strange look, but I rest my hand on his chest to reassure him that it’s going to be okay. I continue questioning Claire, “What are you doing here anyways? And how did you find me? I definitely didn’t give you my address.”

She brings her hands up to her eyes in an attempt to wipe away the tears on her tan skin. Her chocolate brown eyes look tired, and they’re accompanied below by harsh dark bags. She stumbles to get her words out, but eventually she gets everything out in a big long slur, “I caught Andy cheating on me, and I ran. Grabbed everything I could and I was out of there. I don’t have anywhere to stay, and I couldn’t stop thinking of you. Thanks to the lovely publicity that you’ve been getting I noticed some pictures of you at that bar. So I went there and found the owner, who said you lived here and she told me your apartment number.”

I stay quiet, not sure if I should let her in or not. She kicked me out and left me on the street, why shouldn’t I do the same?

Because I was the better person.

Claire wasn’t always the best friend in the world, she always put herself first. She would ditch me constantly for guys, slack off in school, and expect me to clean up her problems in life. However, throughout everything, she was always there for me. Since we were 4 years old. Bestfriends since birth basically. It took me a long time to get over the fact that she just denied me entrance and kicked me out of her life, but here she is trying to get back in.

I was never truly mad at her, just mad at what she had done. If she had come looking for a second chance, I was going to let her back in in a heartbeat because after all she is my best friend. Is it really going to matter 10 years from now that she did me wrong? Do I want to be at my wedding without her as my maid of honor?

That’s why I stepped aside and invited her into my home. She looked confused and surprised that I was so quick to accept her, however after years of her I just accepted that it was easier to move past everything.

“I guess I should go, you two should talk.” I had almost forgot Harry was there but he still remained touching me in some way. His hand was now placed on the small of back stroking it slowly, soothing me.

“Harry you’re still drunk, and it’s three AM. Plus, if you leave and someone sees you, there’s going to be some trouble. Go to my room, you can sleep in my bed, I’ll be there soon.” His eyes light up at the thought of us sleeping in the same bed again. It wouldn’t be the first time though. When he came here looking for me after I’d run out on him at the launch party, it was late and I didn’t want to let him go. I was in a vulnerable state and I remember falling asleep on the couch with him and him scooping me up a little while later in his arms. I remember him setting me down in my bed and placing a gentile but sweet kiss on my forehead. I was completely conscious during this time and when he pulled away to walk away I grabbed his wrist tightly and pulled him back towards me. He looked confused like a lost puppy, but I didn’t want to be alone that night, so I asked him to stay with me. And we fell asleep together and it was one of the most relaxing sleeps I’ve ever had.

“Okay love, if you need anything, I’ll just be in there.” He gives me a peck on the lips and starts off to the bedroom. I hear the click of the door shutting and I’m left alone to face Claire.

“So… you and pretty boy, yeah?” Claire says with a mischievous smile spreading across her face.

“Shut up. We aren’t a thing. Leave your bags in the corner over there and go wash up. I can’t look at your hideous face anymore.” I say in my usual sarcastic tone.

“I’ve really missed you.” She says before disappearing to the wash room. She’s gone for a few minutes and I’m left to my thoughts, trying to figure out what the hell I’m going to say to her.  She’s clearly forgiven, but she’s obviously very upset about her and Andy. I know I shouldn’t give two shits about her and that boy that tore us about, but I have to be there for her, because that’s my job.

I find some blankets and extra pillows for her to use and leave them on the couch, waiting for her to return, and when she does she looks like a different person. The make up that once ruined her face is gone and she looks like a weight has been lifted off her shoulders. I can tell she’s happier than she ever was when she was with Andy.

“Do you want to talk about Andy?” I ask impatiently. I’m rubbish at these talks, these heart to hearts, so I figure I should get it over with as quickly as possible.

“There isn’t much to talk about, I mean, I found him in bed with some slut. And before he saw me there I was gone. I would be more than happy to never see him again.” She says, the hate clear in her voice. I can tell her sadness has now turned to anger, and the old hateful Claire is back.

“It’s going to be fine, I was just in fear that I’d have to live in the streets or something. I’m sorry for denying you access to live with us, that was stupid and I know the situation you were in now. It was foolish of me.” I nod, agreeing with her every word. I’m not the one to sugar coat things and just accept her back in. She needs to know that what she did was wrong, which she clearly has realized now. I give her a half hug, to let her know that things between us are alright. It’s like we used to be and that’s what matters here. Not even a douchey boyfriend can tear us apart.

I stand up from the couch and take a few steps back, heading towards to the bedroom where Harry is, “You can stay here for however long you need, but unfortunately the only thing I have for you to sleep on is this couch. You can talk to the landlord in the morning if you want and you can see if you can get an apartment somewhere near mine, they’re pretty cheap.”

She replies with, “alright, thank you so much. Can I ask what you’re up to with that famous rich boy?” She asks. That’s Claire for you, always trying to know the latest gossip.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,”

“Well, I show up at 3AM, you’re almost naked and I can smell the alcohol on you two. Not to mention the various pictures of you two on the internet.” I give a small smile, trying to hide the feelings I hold for the boy with the crazy hair. Claire continues, “It’s not hard for me to tell you like this guy, especially because you hate majority of the people you meet. Try not to screw it up.”

“Thanks for the advice.” I say, and leave her alone. I stand outside of my bedroom and get a twinge of excitement about how I get to fall asleep in Harry’s arms. I slowly open the door, careful not to wake him, however I find him sitting up in my bed with nothing but boxers on.

“What are you still doing awake?” I ask intently.

“I wanted to make sure you were alright.” He says shyly. I grab his shirt from the floor and slip it over my head before making my way to the bed. His arms are open, accepting me into his embrace.

“I’m okay, I’m always okay.” I reply.

He accepts my answer and we slip under the covers together. I watch as Harry sets an alarm for 10AM, just in case he sleeps too long I guess. I’m an early riser, so I suppose I’ll already be awake, but judging from the amount of vodka I’ve drank and the fact that it’s already 3:30AM I might not be up so early. He wraps his arms around me and we fall asleep quickly.