Chapter 2- Running

Chapter 2

          I woke up, just as the train was pulling in to the station and the conductor was announcing that we had arrived. I quickly swung my bag over my shoulder and pulled my hood over my head, and stepped onto the platform as soon as the doors opened.

          I made my way outside and hailed the first cab I saw. 10 minutes later I was standing outside Emma Swan’s apartment. The excitement was building in my stomach as I took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

I waited a few moments before knocking again, but harder this time.

Nothing.

For a moment I wasn’t sure exactly what to do. I had not even considered the possibility that Emma would not be home. I decided that I had 2 options; I could pick the lock, have a look around and wait until she’s

 gets back, but that’s not a good way to make a first impression, so I decided to go with option 2; pop a squat outside her door and wait.

          I must’ve dozed off at some point because the next thing I knew I was being prodded awake by a middle aged guy in a maintenance uniform.

“Can I help you?” he asked obviously referring to the fact that I sleeping in the hallway outside someone’s apartment.

“Nope I’m good” I said yawning and stretching out my cramped limbs.   

“Did you get locked out of your apartment?” he asked looking me up and down.

“No, I’m just waiting for the lady that lives here; she’s supposed to be my birth mom or something so I decided to pop in and say hi since I was in the neighborhood.” I say nonchalantly

“Damn how many kids does she have?” he mumbled under his breath.

“Pardon?” I asked raising my eyebrows.

“This little boy showed up a couple days ago and said he was her son that she gave up for adoption 11 years ago or something and then they got in her car and left.”

“Did she say where they were going?” I asked carefully

He raised his eyebrows but said nothing.

I rolled my eyes and pulled a 20 out of my sock and slipped it into his hand.

“where.” I stated quietly

“Where the kid lives, Storybrooke, Maine or something.”  

I grabbed my bag and stood up excitedly, pretending to stumble a bit, so that when he reached out to help me I slipped my hand into his pocket and pulled out his car keys, and credit card  concealing them in my sleeve.

“Thanks” I said quickly, before practically skipping down the hallway.

Once I was outside I located his car, it was a white Kia Rio.

“Not too bad for a maintenance guy” I thought to myself.

Before hopping in and driving off, before he realized it was missing.

          I drove for about an hour in the general direction of Maine before stopping at a gas station, to get gas some lunch, and a map.

          2 hours later I pulled into the small town of Storybrooke.

I parked the car in the main square of the town and entered a café. People gave me strange looks, but I ignored them as I sat down and ordered a cappuccino and a burger.  While I was waiting for my meal a tall women with short black entered the café, and stopped short when she saw me.