Chapter 7- Mess I Made

Chapter 7- Mess I MAde

          I walked for a few minutes before I found a nice rock to pop a squat on. I sat down crossed my arms and stared at Peter.

          “Where should I start? He asked me raising an eyebrow

          “Let’s start simple shall we” I said crossing my legs “where am I and how did I get here?”

          “Well for starters you’re in Neverland, and as to how you got here, I honestly have no clue, my shadow didn’t bring you, he never brings me girls, so you must’ve brought you’re self here.”

          For a moment I let it sink in then I stood up “You’re insane.” I said bluntly.

          “And what makes you think that?” he replied unfazed

          “Neverland doesn’t really exist it is an imaginary place in a Disney movie that’s only purpose is to give children false hopes and dreams.” I stated.  At one of my foster homes there was a little girl who would watch that movie every day and then before she went to bed she would sit by the window and ‘wish upon a star’ or whatever that Peter Pan would come and take her away.

          “Hold on.” I said before he had a chance to respond “You’re name is Peter.”

          He nodded “that it is.”

          “Please, please, please tell me that you don’t actually think you’re Peter Pan.”  I asked hopefully

“I don’t think I’m Peter Pan.” He said honestly “I am Peter Pan.”

I sat back down on the rock with my head in my hands “you’ve got to be kidding me.” I mumbled to myself. This is honestly worse than any nightmare I’ve had.

          “that’s it!” I exclaimed sitting straight up excitedly

          “What’s it?” Peter asked confusedly staring at me

          “This must be a dream! so all I have to do is wake up and I’ll be back in my car!” I explained

          “What?” Peter asked giving me a look that clearly said ‘are you crazy?’

          I ignored him and began slapping my face and hard as I could.

          “What are you doing” he practically yelled at me, as he grabbed my wrist so I couldn’t slap myself, but I just lifted up my left hand and began slapping again. I needed to wake up and be back in the real world. He grabbed my left hand and held it still also.

          I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, before opening them again. When I opened them I was hoping to be back in my car but lo and behold peter was still kneeling in front of me holding my arms and staring at me like I was crazy.

          “gahh!” I screamed out of frustration causing him to jump back in surprise.

          I put my head back in my hands, my cheeks stinging from the slaps.

          “I can prove that you’re in neverland.” Peter said quietly sitting down next to me. “That you’re not dreaming.”

          “how?” I whispered lifting my head out of my hands and meeting his gaze.

          “In neverland if you truly believe, you can make anything you desire appear.”

          I have to admit that sounds intriguing. It was worth a try, I had nothing to lose.  

          I closed my eyes and concentrated.  After a moment I opened my eyes. Nothing had happened. I glared at Peter “it didn’t work.”

          He smirked “that’s because you don’t believe. It won’t work unless you truly believe in Neverland, unless you truly believe in me.”       

          “I don’t believe in Peter Pan.” I stated coolly shaking my head “he is a fictional character who wears unattractive green tights and elf shoes.”

          “I most certainly do not!” Peter wrinkled his nose in disgust

          I rolled my eyes and put my head back in my hands.

          “Just try.” Peter whispered quietly, putting his hand on my back, sending shivers up my spine. “Try to believe.”

          I took a deep breath and pushed all of my doubts out of my mind. “I’m in Neverland.” I told myself “and I’m sitting next to Peter Pan.” And then I concentrated hard.  After a moment I heard a pop and I opened my eyes.  There resting on the ground less than a yard away from where I was sitting was my old dog tag necklace. I immediately scooped it up and fastened it around my neck.

          Peter stood up from the rock. “You believe.” He was suppressing a smile. I almost smiled back but I caught myself. “I didn’t have much of a choice no did I?” I huffed, trying to sound annoyed.  

He ignored that and gestured to my necklace “what is it?” he stepped closer to me.

“It’s my mom’s old dog tag, at least that’s what I think. It was left with me in the hospital after she abandoned me, I was arrested a couple of months ago, and they confiscated it, I wasn’t able to get it back before I escaped.”  He stepped closer, reached out, and gently lifted it off of my chest.

“Sometimes when things are falling apart they might actually be falling into place.” He said running his fingers over the words, engraved on its surface.

“It reminded me on the worst days, that someday, I might be able to be happy, I just had to hang on, until that day came.” I confessed quietly.  

He didn’t respond, but his eyes were locked on mine. He was slowly leaning closer and closer to me. For a moment I was lost in his gaze, but then I realized what was happening. I took a step back and cleared my throat.

He looked crestfallen for a moment before regaining his composure.  “I’d best be getting back to clearing, were having a party, and it’s going to start soon.” He turned and briskly walked back the way we came, not bothering to wait for me.

          I wanted to call out to him, ask him to come back. But I didn’t. And he was gone.

I sat back down on the rock and internally cursed myself. I was such an idiot. I should’ve kissed him. I wanted to kiss him. He wanted to kiss me, or so it seemed. But I was too afraid. I was a coward. And now he probably thought I didn’t like him, that I hated him, heck I hated myself. I just had a chance to finally feel something for someone and instead I made a mess out of it.

“no.” I thought to myself “get a grip. You can still fix this.” I stood up, and began walking back to the clearing. He mentioned that there was going to be a party. That could be my chance, and this time I would not mess it up.

** don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow. a random comenteer will get a dedication next chapter **