Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman

Sirius sat on the stone wall at the church again, staring at the motorbike in the driveway. James was off down the street, showing Maryrose about Godric's Hollow - she'd come via the Knight Bus to visit him and Sirius had quickly felt like a third wheel and let them off by themselves. He stared at the detailing on the motorcycle, at the shiny curves and reflections and thought thosewere the sort of curves to get excited over - not the strange new ones on the girls like James had done back at Maryrose's party. Sirius pictured the weight of the motorbike between his legs, the rumbling vibration of it and the way the handles would feel with his hands wrapped about them tightly, the brakes beneath his stretched knuckles... He pictured the hum of it, the roar when he hit the gas... Except this one - this cranberry-red beauty - this one would pur.

Suddenly the front door of the house opened and Sirius watched as the man who owned the motorbike came out and walked across the yard, carrying his helmet under one arm, stowing a billfold into his jacket pocket. He slid off the stonewall and ran across the street. "Hey, man," he said, trying to sound casual, "How's it going?"

The man looked up and nodded to Sirius, "Morning," he said as he zipped up his jacket and swung the helmet onto his head.

"I'm Sirius Black, I don't think I said that before," Sirius said, sticking out his hand.

"Dante - Ace Dante," the man answered, shaking Sirius's hand. "It's nice to meet you Sirius Black."

Sirius watched as the man swung his leg over the body of the motorbike and he walked around to be facing him, "I'm sorry if I'm being weird, I just really like your motorbike. It's the best motorbike I've ever seen. I love the color. Have you had it long?"

Ace Dante shook his head, "Not too. Got it for myself for a birthday present just in April. Used, but only barely... There's a shop in London, sells motorbikes at fair prices."

Sirius nodded, "In London you say?"

"Yeah, just outside of." He reached in his jacket and pulled his billfold out again, flopping it open and unfolding one of those long plastic photo holders. He had loads of pictures, mostly of a pretty brunette woman.

"Is that your wife?" Sirius asked, pointing.

Ace laughed, "Her? Good God, no. I wish. That's Lynda Carter." When Sirius didn't look like he recognized the name, Ace supplied, "Wonder Woman? On the telly?"

The only telly Sirius had ever seen was the episodes of Doctor Who that James had made him watch, trying desperately to explain who everyone was and what was going on so that Sirius could understand and enjoy the show, too. Sirius's favorite parts had been the adverts, which were bright and flashy and had music in them. He'd never seen Wonder Woman. He stared at Ace Dante for a moment, then shook his head.

"Well. She's great, I like her a lot. You should take in the program sometime, it's very good," Ace said, and he reached into a side pocket in the billfold and pulled out a business card with a drawing of a motorbike on it. "Here you are," he handed it to Sirius, "That's the shop."

"Thanks," Sirius said, taking the card.

"Yeah, no problem," Ace said, and he carefully folded all the pictures of Lynda Carter back up and closed the billfold, returning it to his leather jacket pocket as Sirius turned the card over, running his finger over the bump of the raised ink. Ace adjusted his jacket. "Alright, Sirius Black, I need to go."

"Alright." Sirius nodded.

"I still owe you that spinner 'round the block. Come by again sometime. Maybe Saturday morning or something." He started up the motorbike as Sirius nodded and stepped back, watching as Ace Dante rolled backwards down the driveway and into the street, waved to him, and drove away.