Be More Patient

Be More Patient

Once again, the full moon was coming up, October having flown by it seemed, and Remus was struggling about the castle. The first years were nervous about him, asking James if he was alright. "Of course he's alright!" James answered, then he lowered his voice and leaned closer, "When we were in third year, Remus fought a dragon in the woods and it's done given him bum knees that ache with certain weather."

"Whoaaaa," gasped Dexter. "Seriously?!" he snuck a glance at Remus, who was paused halfway up the stairwell, rubbing his knees. "Fighting dragons is serious business."

"Remus was draaa-gon fiiiigh-tiiiiing... his kicks were fast as lightning..." Sirius suddenly came out of no where singing as he danced past the first years, "In fact, it was a little bit frightening! The dragon fought with expert timing!" He thundered by and clamped his arm about Remus, helping him along.

"Blimey," whispered Liam, looking impressed. "Never knew a bloke who'd fought a dragon before!"

Dexter asked eagerly, "The dragon gave Remus a messed up knee but... what'd the dragon get?"

"His teeth pulled!" James invented. "Ever heard of Shiramaug the Toothless?" The first years all shook their heads no. "That's him. That's the one Rey fought," James said, as though they'd all said they'd heard of his imaginary dragon, "Of course before Rey got to him he was known as Shiramaug the Sharp but can't say that anymore! Perhaps Shiramaug the Gum Smacker!"

So the first years thought Remus was the bravest of all time and they often played out on the grounds at Remus Versus the Dragon and fought over who would be Shiramaug the Sharp and who would be Remus the Mighty and they would spend hours running about brandishing their wands like swords as they ran over the grass laughing.

The night before the full moon, Sirius lay in the dormitory on Remus's bed, holding him close as Remus buried his face in the crook of Sirius's neck, his back aching horribly again. Sirius ran his hands over Remus's spine gently, pausing now and then to work out knots with his fingers, and Remus breathed the smell of Sirius and kept his eyes closed. Sirius was telling Remus all about the firsties playing Remus V. Shiramaug that day on the lawn and Remus smiled, listening, holding onto Sirius.

"I reckon they fancy you the bravest man in all the world," Sirius concluded.

Rey's fingers knotted around Sirius's shirt and he inhaled sharply as a jolt of pain went through his bones. "They wouldn't find me so brave if they could see me about now," whispered Remus tremulously.

"Well I find you brave about now," Sirius replied.

Remus shook his head, "You're biased."

"Terribly," agreed Sirius, smiling. "But I like being biased. It means I get to snog you." He gently placed a kiss on Remus's forehead.

Remus fell asleep and Sirius just lay there holding him. When James and Peter came upstairs, he motioned for them to move quietly about the room, "He's only just fallen asleep," he whispered, "Hasn't been able to sleep the past couple nights."

James nodded and Peter changed into his pyjamas carefully. "I feel terrible for him," Peter said softly as he buttoned his flannels up.

Sirius nodded, "As do I."

James came over and he said, "Poor Rey."

Sirius stroked the blonde curls with his fingers gently.

"You really love him," Peter said quietly.

"More than anything else," Sirius answered, his voice thick.