Like a Puzzle Piece

Like a Puzzle Piece

Ace Dante's motorbike reappeared in his carpark between the time that he'd called the police and when they arrived to investigate the missing vehicle. "I swear," Ace Dante said, "It wasn't there before!"

The police officer nodded as he gave Ace a pat on the back, "Right, because motorbikes often wander away. P'haps you should get it a leash!" And they got in their cars and drove off, leaving a stunned and horribly confused Ace standing in his carpark, scratching his head, and wondering what had happened.

Ace Dante was utterly befuddled, and finally went inside, muttering to himself about needing to get better sleep, and maybe drinking a little less...

James couldn't help but smirk to himself as he sat on the steps of the church across the street. He clutched his stomach and curled up 'round his knees and looked up at Dumbledore. "Brilliant, sir."

Dumbledore smiled and winked at James. "And now, the two of us need to go relax your poor, dear mother."

"As long as you're there so she won't transfigure me into a toad or something," James answered.

Dumbledore chuckled. "Not that you wouldn't deserve it."

James led Dumbledore the long way 'round the path, not wanting to get in even more trouble with Dora for cutting through the woods again. Besides, Dumbledore being old as he was, James wasn't sure what his feelings about tromping along through the tundra would be. So they made their way 'round the lake to the Potter's cul-de-sac, ambling along at a pleasant pace in the early morning sunlight.

They were just turning the corner by the lake when Dumbledore paused. They were on the road in front of the home where the Dumbledores had lived in years past, when Albus had been James's age; he stood at the gate now, his hand resting on the white washed wood. James stood beside him, staring up at the house, too, then he glanced up at Dumbledore.

"I can't picture you as a kid, sir," James said. "I've tried loads of times passing this place, but I can't ever quite do it."

Dumbledore smiled and looked down at James, "I didn't have the beard," he said.

James laughed, "I'd imagine not, sir."

Dumbledore stroked the beard now and he sighed. "I'm afraid you wouldn't have liked me much, Mr. Potter," he said, and he turned away from the house and continued on down the road.

James trotted alongside him. "I'm sure I would have, sir."

"I didn't like myself most of the time," Dumbledore answered.

"You sound like Remus," James said.

Dumbledore chuckled, "Except not so kind or so selfless as our dear Mr. Lupin."

James shrugged, "I bet you were more so than you think."

"I appreciate your confidence in me," Dumbledore replied, "But no."

They were approaching the cul-de-sac and James slowed down a bit and looked up at Dumbledore, biting his lip, hesitating, then looking forward again... He drew a deep breath, "Sir?"

"Mmm?" Dumbledore didn't look down, and for this James was thankful. He didn't want to be looked at.

"Do you reckon everyone has... a soul mate?"

"A soul mate?" Dumbledore asked.

"Someone they... belong to... someone they fit with. Like a puzzle piece. Like two halves of the same person."