Chapter Three

I always said if only I could be a morning person, my life would be so much easier. I just never understood those people who could pop out of bed the moment they woke up, all ready and eager to start the day. I felt like there was an elephant sitting on my head for at least ten minutes before I even opened my eyes. Then I needed coffee pronto or someone was getting their head pecked off if they dared to speak to me.

Friday mornings were the worst because I had to get Emery to school early for Spirit Squad. So much for TGIF. This particular Friday was also one where my ex-husband had the girls. We had a strange custody arrangement that was decided in our divorce decree. Very complicated, but after two years, we'd gotten the hang of it.

"Mommy," Emery piped up when we were stopped at a light. "Is this your favorite song?"

"Hmm?" I sounded.

We were listening to Harry's CD, the new one that he'd sent. I'd had it in my car since Tuesday when I'd taken Emery to gymnastics and hadn't bothered to take it out. The truth was, I was enamoured with it. I loved every track on it. It had been on repeat for three days now, and I'd come to know most of the lyrics. The particular song that was playing was certainly one of my favorites on the album, a piano ballad.

"Yeah, I like this one a lot," I grinned at her.

"I thought so," she sat back, proud of herself for guessing correctly.

"Which one's your favorite?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "I don't know yet. I like all of 'em."

"Good answer," I nodded.

I turned onto the next street, singing softly along to Harry's voice. I liked his voice. A lot. More than I probably should. And it wasn't just his singing voice. I still got chills when I thought of how he said my name.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about him since that night. It had only been a few days since he'd left Houston. And I kept reminding myself that I'd probably never see him again. But his face was stamped in my brain. Especially the look on it when he'd stood in my daughter's doorway while she had a seizure. And his kind voice when he'd handed me a towel afterwards. He'd shown concern but also had a calmness about him which put me at ease. More than anything, though, I remembered how soft his lips felt against mine.

"Reagan!" Emery shouted out the window that I hadn't even realized she'd rolled down, making me blink and push on the break a little too hard as I pulled up to the curb in front of her school.

"Have a good day, sweetheart," I yawned, leaning over to give her a quick kiss.

"Bye, Mommy." Emery grabbed her backpack and hurried out of the car to meet up with her friend.

As I drove away, letting Harry's voice enrapture me once again, my phone buzzed in the console between the seats. I frowned when I realized it was a text from Tod.

I won't be able to come get the girls until 7.

I scoffed, turning out of the parking lot. I waited until I was closer to work at a red light to respond.

Why?

I have a make up lesson at 6.

I rolled my eyes as I continued driving. When I got to work and parked, I angrily texted him back.

You're supposed to be here at 6. That was the agreement.

I know that but it was the only time I could schedule the lesson.

Part of me wanted to just call him instead of text, but I hated talking to him. At least in text, I could say what I wanted without hearing his condescending tone.