Chapter Eighteen

A cold front came through that night. Even with the fireplace blazing in our bedroom, I could tell the temperature had dropped outside when I awoke in the middle of the night. But I didn't wake up because I was cold. I'd had another dream.

This one was mild, though. I hadn't awoke sitting up in a pool of sweat, my heart racing. In fact, if it hadn't been for the lingering loneliness I felt in the pit of my stomach, I wouldn't have thought I'd had one at all.

But I could recall it quickly, the details conjuring up like they'd just happened. In my dream Harry had taken me to the airport where he kissed me at the gate like it was no big deal. I'd told him I loved him one last time as our joined hands stretched further and further apart until I could no longer see him. I'd cried on the plane, but only on the inside. And the last thing I remembered from the dream...he'd written me a note that I found in the pocket of my coat.

I love you...

No buts

With a sigh, I rolled over to face Harry who laid on his back, his head facing the other direction. I snuggled up against him the best I could, wanting to feel his warmth, but also the comfort of his closeness. He stirred a bit when I laid my arm across his chest, then turned to me with a slight groan.

Neither of us said a word as he pulled me closer, his eyelids still shut closed. He hummed softly against my skin, his breath tickling my forehead until he kissed it. His hand traveled my back to my waist, his long fingers dancing in time with his breathing. I inhaled the scent of him as my lips met his neck, kissing him across his collarbone. His body stilled against mine, and for a moment I thought he'd drifted off to sleep. But then his hand continued caressing my back, moving down to my hip where his fingers ran cross the skin where my butt met my thigh. I sighed into him, wishing his touch would go where I wanted him most. When he cupped my butt cheek, I lifted my leg as my tongue traveled across his jaw to his ear.

Harry rolled me onto my back then, a deep growl rising from his throat. I didn't want to pressure him into sex if he was too tired, but his audible breaths and the way he pressed his hips into mine told me his body ached as much as mine did. He licked his lips before swiping his tongue across my awaiting mouth. His other hand cradled my face, his thumb pressing gently against my throat. I let out a tiny breath-filled cry when I felt his firmness between us, needing him to fill me with it.

I caught sight of Harry's hooded eyes as he separated our hungry kiss and reached over to the bedside table to retrieve protection. I watched him hastily roll the condom up his erection, then grab my thigh and give it a nudge upwards.

The sting of his entering me was probably something I'd never get used to, but also never tire of. He made love to me with eager animalism, hard but not rough. Like I was his first meal after not having eaten for days. I liked it, maybe a little too much. Part of me wanted to say something, or perhaps have him talk dirty to me, especially when I lifted my thighs further and he reacted by fucking me harder, his jaw slack as he looked into my eyes. But I actually liked the silence, the only sounds our bodies and breathing, accented with moans of passion.

I could tell Harry's release was coming soon as his body quivered above mine. He kissed me hard and cried my name, causing my own undoing. I clawed his back and clung to him as we came together. A blissful sigh sounded from Harry when he collapsed, his mouth still lingering closely. My chest rose and fell rapidly as I tried to catch my breath. My fingers tangled in his curls, damp with perspiration.

"I love you," I whispered against his lips.

"I love you, too," he declared with a heavy sigh. Then he kissed me deeply once more before rising for the bathroom.