Chapter Twenty-Four

I sat on Harry's bed while he finished in the bathroom. My little black dress, though simple, had made me feel pretty and sexy when I'd first slipped into it. My nerves, however, had returned in full force and I'd already tried to swallow the lump in my throat several times to no avail.

My phone was cradled in my hand, my messages from Lorelei open. After receiving her text earlier with the link, I hadn't bothered to see that she'd added her own comments underneath until later when I'd heard my phone ping in my purse as I was getting dressed.

But don't you think anything about it, hon. The paps are ruthless, she'd texted. And you both look beautiful, btw! xxx

It was her later texts that got me to read my phone again and reply.

Are you okay? I should have asked that earlier.

But of course you are, because you're busy with your lovely man and his gorgeous mum.

Just know I'm here if you need me. I love you.

Extreme confusion and a bit of nausea running through me, I texted her back as I was stepping into my heels.

I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be, Lor?

Oh hey! She replied almost immediately. Good, of course you are. Just making sure.

What's going on??

You saw my earlier text?

The link? Yeah I saw it. Kinda weird, but whatever.

Yeah it was. Just shake it off, girl.

It was just a picture. Although I'm wondering now how long that pic from the concert has been out.

I know! I never saw it either until today.

I haven't been paying attention to the internet and social media lately. So that's probably a good thing.

Definitely a good thing. It's ugly.

What is? That's when I sat on the bed, the bile rising in my throat. What aren't you telling me?

I watched the dots come up on the screen indicating that Lorelei was typing. When her reply finally showed up, it was exactly what I'd dreaded, although I hadn't even known it could be true.

Please don't go looking for it, hon. I beg you. But it's all over Twitter now, and some other places. The fans haven't figured out who you are yet, but they've already gotten their own impression of you. And it's not pretty. That's all I'm gonna say. I don't want you to be hurt by this, Stace. You're strong.

Fuck.

I could hear the water running in the bathroom, the sound of Harry brushing his teeth and spitting. I looked down at my dress, the gold bracelet on my left wrist. I inhaled the scent of my perfume mixed with the cherry flavor of my red lipstick. I wanted to vomit.

Another ping sounded on my phone, but it took me a minute to look at the next line of text. I silently cursed Lorelei for a second, but I knew it wasn't her fault. I wasn't mad at her for telling me. I would have found out eventually, and more than likely I'd have slipped upon it myself and read exactly what the fans were calling me.

I'm sorry, Stacey. I shouldn't have told you.

No, it's okay, I replied. You're right, I'm strong.

YES YOU ARE!

I have to go, I texted just as I heard the door open. Party tonight.