Agent!Zack x Reader-Friends

*This story is an AU(Alternate/alternative Universe)*

Dedicated to @__luth

Zack Fair straightened his black tie as he walked confidently down the hall and to his awaited destination. Today was his first day as a secret agent, the job he'd been thriving for all his life. Just a couple of hours ago, his boss, Angeal, said he had a very important job for him. And from the sound of his superior's voice, it was a very serious matter. Soon, Zack arrived at the main office of the HQ and walked in with his head up high.

"Sir, I'm here," the raven-haired male said confidently.

Angeal turned around from looking at his full-view window and locked eyes with Zack.

"It's about time," Angeal said, walking towards him, "As I said on the phone, I have a very special task for you in order to prove to me that you are worthy for the job."

Zack's head nodded in anticipation, his eyes gleaming with excitement.

"And? What's the task boss? I swear you'll be proud after I do it," Zack spoke, his adrenaline could be heard from a mile away. 

Angeal smirked a little. 

"Your task is..."

Zack leaned over the slightest bit with even more anticipation, a blooming smile plastered on his face.

"To look after my daughter for the day."

Silence.

Zack's expression turned blunt, confused, and surprised as soon as the words left Angeal's throat.

"Huh?" the young man uttered.

Then, the door to the left opened and in came a young girl with (e/c) eyes and (h/c) hair. 

She was in a wheelchair. 

She looked at Zack with shy smile, her head slightly down.

"Hello," she greeted faintly.

"This is my daughter. Her caretaker quit and the new one won't start until tomorrow. And since you're the only person I know that's available, I'm giving you the responsibility."

***

Zack pushed the girl and her chair through Angeal's backyard garden. It was a very sunny, mildly hot summer afternoon and the flowers were radiating in the light, making them look magical.

Although, Zack wasn't paying attention to the surrounding beauty; he was looking at the one below him. The two hadn't talked yet. When they were left alone, neither of them said a word. Zack could sense that the girl was shy, since she was quiet and by the way she fiddled with her thumbs. He had to do something. So he cleared his throat.

"So..." he started. The girl cocked her head to the side a bit. "I didn't get your name yet."

"(Y/n)," she stated softly, "And I'm guessing that you're Zack Fair?"

"Yep! That's me," he said, gaining confidence again.

"So, you're the Zack? AKA Zack the Puppy? That's what my father says." 

The man almost froze. And the lightest shade of pink grazed his pale cheeks.

"Yeah." His precious confidence was drained once again. (Y/n) giggled. Zack decided to change the topic.

"So, is this your favourite place to be at home?"

"Yes it is. I love the flowers, their scents, the peace and quiet, and the fresh air. It's where I kind of escape the world," (y/n) explained. 

"I see," Zack replied, getting more interested in the girl. But then Angeal flashed in his mind. There's no way he would allow him to get close to her. Plus, he's only met her today. Zack shook his head to get out the swirling thoughts.

"Oh, wait, stop!"

Zack halted and looked down at (y/n).

"What? What is it? Are you okay?" he asked frantically.

"No, no, I'm fine," the girl clarified, "I just wanted you to turn here." She pointed to the side and Zack's blue eyes followed her finger.

"Oh, wow..."

There was a beautiful, large fountain sitting in the center of a small clearing. It was all made of crystal, with flowers lining the hems and a statue of a woman in the middle. Zack turned (y/n)'s wheelchair and hauled her over to the fountain. He parked her right beside a bench where he sat.

The two sat in a peaceful, yet awkward silence for many minutes. 

"This is one piece of work," Zack stated finally. 

"Yes... It is..." (y/n) whispered.

Zack turned to look at the young woman beside him. She looked sad. 

"You okay?" he asked. She didn't respond for the longest time. It seemed to him that she didn't want to answer, until...

"Father made this in remembrance of my mother. When I was young, she would pick me up from school. But, one day a delivery truck malfunctioned and the driver lost control... And it hit us. It cost me both the use of my legs and her."

Zack continued to study (y/n). He was speechless. He'd never heard a story like this in person.

"Oh..." was all he said. Looking up at the statue, he could tell that that was (y/n)'s mother. But... there was something he couldn't figure out though.

"Why would you tell me all of this?"

The girl looked at him from the corner of her eye, which was masked with threatening tears.

"Because... I don't really have anyone to tell this to. Father is always busy with work, all my caretakers don't want me to talk about it, and I don't really have any friends. And plus I..." She hesitated for a minute before turning her head the other way so that Zack wouldn't see the rosy colour rising on her face. "I don't get to talk to boys very much..."

"Oh..." Zack uttered, doing the same as (y/n); turning and blushing. After a few moments, Zack got an idea.

"You know... We could be friends," he offered, turning to face the girl. (Y/n)'s head whipped around to look at Zack. Her visage displayed shock, relief, and happiness, all that the same time.

"We could?" she asked.

Zack smiled.

"Of course."

END