|Chapter Fifteen|

Caroline was heading home to visit her mom for the day. She felt like she hadn't seen much of her and she'd been distant. Liz believed it was because Bonnie had just passed and she had a new boyfriend but Caroline was just playing drinking games and messing about.

She felt awful.

Klaus insisted to come with her but she denied him an invitation and climbed into the car on her own.

Klaus stayed in New Orleans, and surprisingly wasn't obsessing over speeding after her. It was a good feeling knowing she'd come back to him later that night.

-

"Mom!" Caroline said with a huge smile on her face as she opened the front door. Liz stood before her daughter and squeezed her tight.

"I've missed you." Liz beamed as she looked at Caroline. Liz furrowed her brows.

"What? You look like you've seen a ghost?" Caroline said as she marched up to the mirror. She fussed with her hair, assuming her mom spotted a grey one and then twirled. Nothing?

"Caroline. Honey. You look like you have a glow."

"A glow?"

"Don't worry, it's silly."

Caroline furrowed her brows. It did not look like she had a glow.

"What do you mean? Tell me."

Liz explained that when she was pregnant with her she had a glow, her cheekbones caved in a little more and her eyes shimmered. Caroline looked like that. But Caroline shook it off. Impossible.

Liz sighed and demanded she pay for their meal if they went to the grill for something to eat. Sounded great. Some catching up time would do them both good.

-

As they sat down and began to talk Liz suggested grandchildren. Caroline's eyes widened.

"Mom. No."

Liz scoffed.

"Why not?"

Caroline was sad she couldn't have children. She often dreamed of being human with Klaus and having a family, but she was happy leading an immortal life.

"Wow, nice bracelet." Liz gawked. Petting at Caroline's wrist.

"Thanks, Bonnie gave it-to-me." Caroline stumbled on her words as she looked down at the bracelet that was glowing.

A glow.

Pregnancy.

Caroline saw the world spin and before she knew it she woke up in a hospital bed.

"Mom-"

"I'm here, sweetie."

"Mom. Whatever you do, don't tell Kla-"

"Caroline." Klaus said, as he entered the room on her awaken. Caroline felt sick and begged for a bowl as her mom stretched for one and placed it beneath her chin.

"Mom, I don't want Klaus to see me like this."

Klaus furrowed his brows and wondered why she felt like him seeing her like this would change anything.

"I'm not leaving, love. The doctors say you're- pregnant."

Caroline shook her head. The thought was just impossible.

"No."

Klaus raised his brows and grabbed her hand.

"I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm here for you. For us, and if it's true. I promise I'll never let anything happen to you or our baby."

Liz was confused with how off they were about it, but shook it off.

Caroline sighed and just wanted to sleep. It was 7:00pm. They wouldn't make it back for the games. Klaus was disappointed, but was more concerned for Caroline and their baby right now.

He was confused and needed time to adjust. A baby. How could he love something else? All of his love was to Caroline.

Klaus found it hard to express and contain his emotions sometimes and he was scared he wouldn't be able to attach to the baby. Liz was over the moon to have a grandchild and already started suggesting names. Klaus turned his head in the direction of Liz when she began to groan in pain.

"Nurse." Klaus shouted as he vamped to her side. She was led on the floor unconscious and Caroline was stressing. She was strapped up to drips and cable wires so she couldn't attend to her mother's needs.

"What's happening?" Caroline cried as two doctors and a nurse carried her out the room. Klaus looked at her. He could smell the disease inside Liz' body, he was used to seeing people die this way for centuries. But he didn't say a word. This was going to be rough on Caroline. First Bonnie, now this. The games were definitely over for them.

"This is going to be hard for you to hear, but your mother has just been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. We will try our best with surgery and recovery for your mother, but it looks like a bumpy ride." The nurse said as she entered Caroline's ward.

Klaus gripped Caroline's hand. He couldn't feel anything so he looked down at her and tried to experience her feelings.

"Carol-"

"Please. I want to be alone right now." She said, her bottom lip quivered and tears began to flow from her eyes. Klaus didn't want to leave but the nurse instructed it, she respected the words of her patients.

Klaus huffed and went to find Liz.

"How you holding up?" He asked. She didn't look like she was in a healthy state at all. She had an oxygen tube running into her nose and some antibiotics in a drip strapped to her arm.

"How's Caroline?" Was what Liz responded with.

Klaus shook his head.

"I knew it was coming, I'd felt the lumps but I was too scared to say or do anything. I ignored it when I should've took action."

"Hi guys." Caroline smiled as she walked through the door with a balloon and some chocolates.

Klaus and Liz were gobsmacked. Wasn't she just literally laying in a hospital bed, ill.

"Car-"

"How's my wonderful mom?" Caroline asked, placing a kiss on Liz' cheek. Liz was distracted with Caroline more than herself.

"How's the baby? The doctors are letting you go?"

"They said there's nothing wrong, and that I should go home and get some rest. I must've fainted due to shock. Still can't get my head around it to be honest."

Klaus took Caroline's hand and stepped outside the room.

"What's going on?" He asked in a tone Caroline didn't like.

"The doctors have let me go, but I realised I can save my mom."

Klaus raised his brows.

"Vampire blood is a healer."

Klaus' stomach dropped with how excited she sounded. It wouldn't work. If healing cancer worked by feeding humans vampire blood, it would've been known of years ago.

"Caroline. I-"

"No. Don't. This is my last hope."

Klaus sighed and pulled her in for a hug. This was going to be a bumpy ride.