Chapter 4 - This Might Hurt

Dinner was by no means any easier on Ciel than lunch was. The only up side was that the Alpha Successor was already seated when he arrived at the dining room. This time, the twins were seated on either side of Theo, and Ciel could only guess that he didn't want him anywhere near him. That was fine by Ciel; he wasn't really in the mood to deal with the Successor's feelings, when he was dealing with his own feeling of loss and separation from his tribe.

He had a light hearted conversation with the Gamma; happy that he was somewhat friendly to him as compared to the rest of the people he had the pleasure of meeting. The Alpha, Luna and Beta were called away on some business and Ciel noticed that the Successor took this chance to eat quickly and escape the awkwardness in the room. Ciel didn't complain about that. He had too much on his mind to even care.

That night, Ciel called his father and spoke to him right before he was about to head to bed, reassuring his father that all was well and he was very warmly welcomed at the pack. It was a lie of course, he was miserable, he wanted to go home, and he wanted to cry. He hated it there. But if he said those things, Sam would be there to collect him as soon as he hung up. It would put a strain on the pack and tribe's relationship, and in doing so, he was only letting the Alpha Successor get what he wants easily.

Ciel eventually spoke to Gin too, promising him that he would think of him constantly and make sure to eat well too. He was emotional throughout the whole call, wondering if it was asking too much if he wanted Gin to be here with him, at least for a while until he could settle in properly. So that he could have someone that was on his side as he fought to survive against the rest of the pack. He hated being an outsider, the only outsider. But he resisted the urge to make such a request. He spoke to Elder Gin and Lady Mila, who were insistent that he call them at least once a month to report to them about his situation. Ciel obliged even though he knew that for a long while, he would have to keep lying to them about his situation.

He was so miserable that he almost threw up at the thought of how depressing his situation seemed. In fact, Ciel had tried to resist his tears as much as he could while he unpacked his luggage that day. He eventually lost to his emotions and cried himself to sleep that night, his luggage lying half unpacked and abandoned. It didn't seem important to rush since he was going to be here for a long while more. He'd rather spend his time wallowing in self-pity as he missed his tribe so badly.

He had not slept well at all that night. In fact, he might have only gotten a total of an hour of sleep through the whole night. Despite being emotional and physically exhausted from crying and thinking about his tribe and his situation, the scents and the sounds around him were so foreign that it assaulted his senses, keeping his mind alert out of habit whenever he was unsure about his surroundings. He couldn't relax at all. Instead, he had spent a good amount of time memorising each one of the sounds, differentiating between the smells, trying to learn to accept this place as his own.

He felt incredibly uncomfortable as he lay in a bed that smelt nothing like home, felt nothing like home. The unfamiliarity of it all seemed to crawl like bugs on his body, making his hair stand on end, his ears constantly startled by something that he had heard. He kept glancing out the window, half out of concern and alertness despite knowing that he was very safe in this pack house, half hoping that Gin would somehow appear outside the glass, bugging him to run away back to home with him. Even though he knew that it was most unlikely, Ciel had also wished that his father would walk through his room door to nag at him for not sleeping yet, perhaps caress his face as he reprimanded him gently. Goddess, he missed them so.

He missed his home, his father, Gin, his tribe. He felt like such a child as he wished that he didn't have to stay here in this strange pack house, to uphold their side of an age old treaty. He imagined how it would have been like if he was more selfish, if he acted like the Alpha Successor, if he had thrown a tantrum and insisted that he wanted nothing to do with this treaty. Would the Elders have found someone else to replace him? Would they find another solution out of this issue?