Chapter 5 - Knowing You

Ciel slept deeply the entire day until night fell, waking only when Len told him that he should get dinner or he would have starved the entire day. He woke up, feeling rejuvenated and well rested. But when he realised that Len had probably stayed with him the entire time without eating as well, he started to feel bad for Len. But Len reassured him that Kai had come by with a sandwich during lunchtime, but otherwise kept away from the room so that Ciel could rest peacefully.

After that day's rest, Ciel never had a proper sleep again for the next three months that he lived with the Spirit Lunar pack.

In that time, he lived in the pack house with very minimal interaction with Theo except when they were ordered to spend time together. Despite having close to no more major confrontations since then, Ciel didn't feel at all safe in the house with these people.

The only person he had lowered his guard for was Len, who would sometimes check up on him quietly without Theo's knowledge. But that was not enough to make his inner wolf relax enough for him to go into deep sleep. He was still constantly on alert, tensed. With Len's promise to protect him while he rest expired, he didn't dare let himself fall into deep sleep. There was now no one else to watch his back. He was very alone in this very big pack.

Still, Ciel was thankful for Len. He took comfort in the fact that there was someone who even cared for him here. Although he wanted very much to try to work things out for the treaty, the memory of Theo's fingers squeezing around his throat until he passed out, was enough to make Ciel avoid the guy at all costs. He didn't want to risk another unprovoked assault.

While he was by no means being mistreated during his stay since then, Ciel was miserable. The Alpha and Luna did their best to make him feel welcomed and included, but it was strained and forced on Ciel's part. The Alpha and Luna knew nothing about that attack and Ciel rationalised that it was probably a good idea, even though he wanted so badly to see Theo punished. But if the Alpha found out, that would mean that the tribe would find out too, and he shuddered to think the damage Gin and Sam would do if they knew that he had been hurt. What would happen to the treaty then?

Ciel knew that one of the reasons why the past three months went without another attack was probably because the twins have been telling Theo to count his lucky stars that the Ciel had not gone ahead to tell on him. He had been holding back from even being rude to Ciel. But that had only translated to an ignoring behaviour from Theo. Not that Ciel minded very much. It was better than getting beaten up and insulted for no apparent reason.

But the other pack members took the lead from their Alpha Successor, avoiding him, or making no effort to engage in conversation with him. That left Ciel essentially very much alone and he started to feel the pricks of loneliness creep up on him. While he liked that he was not being harassed, it was not in a werewolf's nature to be a lone wolf. He still craved being around company and interacting with his fellow pack members, but it looked impossible from the way things were progressing, if they were even progressing at all.

Ciel attended the daily training sessions that he was allowed to, went for runs on his own whenever he could and quietly helped out wherever he could, if he could. He kept out of the way of the pack, just as they did with him, even when he craved more interaction. Every day, he would replay the wonderful memories he had with his tribe, so that he would not drive himself insane with the loneliness that his inner wolf was feeling. He was beginning to feel needy for some affection and bonding.

Unfortunately for Ciel, his hope that he would be preoccupied with school for half the time was dashed when they found that he was unable to join a school until the end of the year. There were no openings for him at the moment in the schools nearby the pack house, and the Alpha was adamant that he was not to take long travels just for school as it was not safe. So Ciel complied with his wishes and decided that he could wait just a couple of months more for school.