Chapter 11 - The Beginning

The weather outside was chilly. Nearly all werewolves enjoyed this time of the year the most. Autumn promised them cooler weathers that their wolves could enjoy in their fur. It also promised a beautiful sight, especially since the pack house was surrounded by woods. The ground was already beginning to be littered with leaves of yellow, orange and red.

The woods chittered with sounds as animals started to prepare for winter. Thanksgiving was around the corner and it was one of the few human customs that the werewolf community partook in. Thanksgiving is a historical celebration of thanks, and it has a spiritual dimension strongly associated with homecoming and giving praise for what has been bestowed upon them.

The werewolf community would usually worship the Goddess of the moon for her protection and pray for her guidance for the year to come. Alpha Bradley couldn't remember when exactly, but autumn had become his favourite season of the year.

Three sharp raps on his door notified him that he had company. He turned around just as Theo walked into view, his face looking guarded as he nodded at his father. Alpha Bradley couldn't help the grin on his face. His son was conceived in autumn. Perhaps another reason why he loved the season so much.

"Father, you wished to see me?" Theo asked as he plopped into the couch leaning back comfortably.

Alpha Bradley nodded, settling down into the couch beside his son, "I wanted to talk to you about Ciel."

He watched as his son's face tensed, before a blush seemed to tint his cheeks. A good sign. A wonderful sign indeed. He strained his ears to hear his son's heart rate pick up. Lovely, Emma would be pleased.

"What about him?" Theo asked with a restrained tone.

He almost laughed. It seems that his son was more obvious when he tried not to be, "Nothing much, I just wanted to know how things are going between the two of you?"

"It's going fine." Theo answered sharply, his brows begin to furrow.

Alpha Bradley nodded thoughtfully, "Have you changed your mind about the treaty?"

At his question, his son went silent. Excellent.

Theo's silence was proof that something has changed in his son. It was a welcomed change. Before, Theo would have immediately threw a tantrum and tear his office apart to show how reluctant he was to marry Ciel and fulfil the treaty. Silence was, in comparison, much more promising.

But Bradley knew that he should not push his son at this point. Theo was still very much undecided of his feelings on the matter. He might act out rashly if he feels that his pride is being insulted, "There's no rush, son. I want you to take your time." He smiled tenderly at his teenage son, "I'm proud that you've set your opinions aside to accommodate Ciel. It shows your maturity."

Lies. His inner wolf hissed at him and the Alpha raised a brow at it. It was true, after all, his inner wolf knew his thoughts like it was its own. He knew of the things that Theo had done to Ciel. Emma had wanted to gut their son when she found out, but he held her back. Some things just could not be rushed. Some things just needed to take its natural course. Bradley knew his son well. If you pushed him, he would never do things the way you'd like him to do.

Careful nudging into the right direction was what worked best for Theo. He needed some coaxing is all. His bad temper was inherited from Bradley, perhaps that's why he knew it was best to let Theo work out his feelings on his own. His son was not stupid, he may be rash, but he definitely could rationalise well.

If Theo wanted to be Alpha, he knew that he had to make sacrifices and decisions to make it so. He would eventually give into the idea and go with the plans they had for him. It helped that Ciel was a pleasant kid to be around. Perhaps Ciel's amiable nature was the reason why Alpha Bradley felt bad that Ciel had to take the brunt of the damages as Theo bull dozed into the right direction.