Chapter 6 - Nathaniel Green

There was indeed a lot more to the pack house than he had seen and explored on his own. Granted, Ciel dared not to go beyond the places that he had learnt was considered common area. He was after all simply a guest in the pack house. He didn't think they would appreciate it if he explored every nook and cranny, intruding on their privacy.

As they walked about in the other wings of the pack house, the twins revealed that they were also living in the pack house alongside their mother. Their father passed away when they were only toddlers, lost to drifters who attacked their pack borders wanting to take a part of the lands for themselves. It left the twins without a father, their mother without her mate, and the pack without a Beta.

They described her as a beautiful and gentle woman, who despite her loss and her sadness, cared for them to the best of her abilities without her husband around. Though her grieve was deep, she never forgot that she had her two beautiful sons. She loved to cook as she felt as though it was the only way she knew how to care for her sons best.

But the loss of her mate had hit her hard. She had become a shut-in, unwilling to venture out of the security of the pack house. She chose instead to keep herself busy knitting and reading in her own space, despite the twins and other pack members' coaxing.

Ciel learnt too, that the current Beta Jason, had originally been the pack's Gamma. He had was promoted when the Alpha saw the need to fill the position officially and he was not ready to look for someone else apart from their current top ranks. Gamma Fred Greene, Nathaniel's father, was made Gamma years after the Beta's promotion. The existing top ranks were only fully filled less than ten years ago.

They brought Ciel around, showing him some areas that were open to anyone in living in the pack house, explaining why certain areas were not occupied or were strictly not accessible unless permission were given by the Alpha. When they combed through the first level, they went on to the second level where all the personal rooms were at.

The twins had two separate rooms that shared a connecting door, a feature that Ciel was sure was unique only to them. The designs of the rooms were rather different, considering that they were twins. Len's room was neat and had minimal amount of furniture. It looked barely lived in. Kai on the other hand, had his personality splash across his room. While it was relatively tidy, Ciel could tell that he was a collector of sorts. He read many books, to Ciel's surprise, seeing them stacked impressively in his book case.

After they toured the twins' rooms, they took a corner and stopped by a room that had a sign that was handwritten saying: "Enter if you must, nagging is prohibited here." and at the corner of the sign, scribbled in pencil in a different handwriting, it said: "You don't own this place."

"I wrote that." Kai said with a smirk as he pointed to the writing in pencil. The twins smiled amusedly when Ciel laughed, before they knocked on the door in an annoying pattern of loud raps. A loud masculine voice yelled for them to enter from behind the door and Ciel nervously entered after the twins.

The room was a mess, period. There was no other word that was more appropriate to describe the room. Clothing were strewn on the ground, snack packets opened and empty laid in a pile, dozens of books, magazines, movie and game covers stacked haphazardly by the bed. Ciel reckoned that if he jumped now, the stack would topple over for sure. He resisted the urge to try.

A teenage boy, well built with his hair tousled in a mess, sat half naked in his boxers on a beanbag with stains smeared on several spots. He had his eyes glued on the television screen, his hands on a controller as he expertly manipulated the keys.