Chapter 12 - Trust Issues

It was as though peace was not a word that was allowed to be associated with Ciel.

Although months passed without hiccups as he spent his days in Spirit Lunar in a relatively pleasant fashion, the Goddess seemed to have other plans for him. Well, at least Ciel could say that he had never led a boring life.

He did well at training and was allowed to go on hunts now. He was even allowed to train with Kai and the trackers of the pack. The private training with the Fabulous Five was progressing well and Teddy had only words of compliment for them these days.

From spending almost all day with the FabFive, Ciel realised that the other pack members living in the pack house had begin to see them as inseparable.

His relationship with Theo was also progressing smoothly and very positively, despite his initial cautiousness against Theo. In fact, these days, Ciel had found himself blushing after Theo's words or actions, his heart pounding as Theo seemed to be showering him with more attention and affection. He had begin to lower his guard against Theo, looking forward to spending time with him to get to know him better each passing day.

Ciel was starting to see how his future in this pack could be like. It was as though he was slowly finding his place in the pack, and he liked where he was at.

The Alpha and Luna were more than pleased with how things were advancing between Theo and Ciel. They constantly encouraged them to spend more time together, even requesting for them to go on dates. Ciel knew that while Theo didn't mind spending time alone with him, he was still very resistant about calling those times 'dates'. Ciel didn't mind, he felt awkward to think of them as 'dates' too. They both preferred to leave labels out and just develop a natural friendship with one another.

It was perhaps all that Ciel could have wished for. A peaceful time at a place that he might have to call home for years to come. Spending time with his makeshift 'family' that he have learnt to care and concern for. He loved their idiosyncrasies, their charms and their shortcomings.

But in all the goodness that life rewarded him with, there was always a darkness that seemed to follow after, lurking as though waiting for the right time to strike when it would be most effective.

In the months that Ciel thought things have been looking up for him, the pack found themselves being involved in an impending war. A war between the drifters and the packs in the neighbouring territories, threatening the lives and the homes of the packs. Even Harvest Tribe had been attacked on several occasions, although the drifters seemed to be more interested in assaulting the bigger, more established packs.

Drifters from all around the region were starting to band together, wrecking well-planned havoc as they tried to challenge the packs for their land. It was the first time drifters have ever been recorded to follow a pattern, or cooperate with one another for a common cause. It was challenging to understand why they had decided to do so. The only end goal that had been identified was that these drifters were tired of having to fend for themselves in the wild, on unchartered and unclaimed lands. They craved for the luxuries that established packs had to offer.

They were desperate enough to attack innocent werewolves while they try to attain it. Many packs have suffered from those desperate attacks. Many pack werewolves have been injured and even killed so far. Packs were beginning to work together to protect their territories, share information and anticipate attacks.

Tensions were building, but so far, there was still no plans for the packs to confront the drifters in their unclaimed territories.

All that had been done was to increase patrols, instill vigilance in their pack members, train their warriors more harshly, in order to prepare them for a fight. Despite that, drifters were still able to get into their territories and deal damage to the packs that lived there.