Chapter 8 - Knowing Doesn't Change A Thing

A shuffling sound outside his room door made Ciel tense up, his aching muscles protesting as his senses raced. The footsteps sound as though it was trained to be stealthy, but with Ciel's training, he could sense that it was anything but. There was unnecessary noise after each step. It sounded completely like an amateur, but still Ciel took heed. Quickly and gracefully, he leaped from his bed towards the windows, stepping into the shadows to conceal himself. 

His heart rate increased, still feeling the effects of the adrenaline from shooting the drifters earlier on. His senses were still heightened and his inner wolf was still on alert for any dangers. Even though he could rationalise that he was safe in the compounds of the pack house, his own instincts would not let up until he was sure. 

The door swung open crudely and Ciel instantly strike the idea that it might be a trained assassin out of his mind. The familiar scent that he had grown to feel apathetic about hit his nasal and he wrinkled his nose slightly as it irritated him. Theo. The overgrown child has somehow decided to look for him in his room. It seemed that staying away from Theo was not going to work if he kept coming to look for trouble. 

"I know Nathaniel didn't shoot those drifters." Theo announced into the empty room as his eyes darted around the room to try and locate Ciel. He squinted, unable to figure out where Ciel was, but he could smell Ciel's scent heavy in the room indicating that he was somewhere in there. Ciel had deliberately left his scent, in case it was someone suspicious. If he completely concealed his scent, it would have alerted the intruder.

Ciel sighed inwardly, psyching himself up for a fight as he stepped out from the shadows. He tried his best to appear calm, keeping his distance just in case. Who knows what Theo wanted with him this time? This was the first time that Theo had ever brought his quarrels into Ciel's room.

Theo startled for a moment when he saw Ciel appear out of the shadows, as if appearing from thin air, but made no move towards the younger teen. Instead, he chose to stand where he was, hands folded as he looked as Ciel accusingly with an arrogant smirk on his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Ciel played dumb when he noticed that Theo was waiting for a resopnse to his statement. Ciel wasn't sure if Theo had come down here, confident to confront him because Nathaniel had told him the truth about who had shot those drifters, or if he was blindly guessing. Until he was sure, he had to put his acting skills to good use and played his cards right. If his gut feeling was right, Theo didn't know for sure, he was simply fishing, hoping Ciel would give away some clue stupidly so that he could use it to his advantage. 

Theo rolled his eyes, the arrogant smirk on his face turning into a nasty frown, "You always brag about how good you are with a gun. Now that you can claim some actual credit, you don't do it?" 

Ciel frowned, folding his own hands as he looked at Theo with defiant eyes. Since when did he 'always brag' about his skills? Alright, he had only claimed once that he would never miss a shot, but that was not really bragging if he could really do it. 

"I really don't know what you're talking about." Ciel muttered, his eyebrows furrowed as he read Theo's body language. The Alpha Successor was strangely not taking an aggressive stance. It made the hairs on the back of his neck stand. 

Theo grinded his teeth as he took a step towards Ciel, lifting his left brow amusedly, "Nathaniel is a terrible shot. That guy is all brawns and brute force. The only weapon he is good at wielding is a probably a bat." Theo raised a brow, "And even then he might miss a target right in front of him. So, I'm giving you a chance here to admit what you've done." 

Theo was being a child and Ciel could sense it from a mile away. He wanted something to get Ciel into trouble for, and Ciel was not going to be stupid enough to react the way he wanted to, to give him the pleasure of 'winning'.