Chapter 10 - A Chance To

The cobbled streets brought a sense of unfamiliarity, and his eyes darted around curiously like the tourist he was. The store fronts looked old, vintage almost, but if you peered through their windows, the businesses inside flourished in modern furniture and fittings. 

The people living in town were a mix of humans and werewolves. It was a strange sight to see, having lived only with werewolves for such a long time. Ciel wondered if it was obvious to these humans that they were different, as they stared after them. Perhaps not. Werewolves lived in this town too. Surely they were being stared at simply because they were outsiders. 

It was a perfect day out, the sun was warm but forgiving as the cloud rolled lazily by, blown by the gentle winds that picked up randomly. It calm Ciel's excited mind as they walk down the town's streets.

"We have to make a trip to the Golden Dragon." Kai announced as he looked at the paper in his hand, instructions from his mother, "Mother wants some more yarn. Goddess, when will she ever get bored." 

Ciel nodded, assuming that Golden Dragon was a shop that sold yarn and other materials for knitting, "She knits a lot?" Ciel asked shyly as his eyes trailed after a couple holding hands down the street. 

Kai nodded with a wince, "Yeah, she knitted these too." He gestured to his and Len's sweater. 

Ciel looked at the patterned sweaters, smling as he thought that they were really well made. The thought of a motherly figure sitting in a rocking chair, knitting away, made him feel warm on the inside. What he would give to have something like that. He tried imagining Sam knitting, but shook his head quickly when he saw in his mind's eye, Sam struggling with the sweater and shooting at it with a gun out of frustration. Perhaps not. 

"And mine too." Nathaniel piped up as he tugged at the sweater collar, "I don't really like the feeling of wool on my skin." He wrinkled his nose. 

Kai huffed, folding his arms as he took a corner into a lane, revealing more shops on either sides, "Why didn't you wear a shirt on the inside?!" 

Nathaniel shrugged, glancing at Kai when he pulled his undershirt out to show it to him, "Didn't think to wear one. You're lucky I'm wearing a shirt at all. I hate the feeling of fabric against my back." He pretended to gag, "It sticks to my back. It feels heavy. I hate it."

"Stay in your wolf form then." Kai stuck his tongue out at Nathaniel. 

"Kai." Len warned quickly in a low growl. 

Kai winced, forgetting for a moment that they were among humans. His eyes darted around to check their surroundings, thankful that no one had over heard their conversation. 

Ciel turned to glance at Theo, who had his hands in his pocket as he walked behind them. He had a look of boredom on his face. He didn't actually want to come along on this trip when he found out that Ciel was coming along. But the Luna heard his protests and insisted he should. 

He didn't protest much after that. He simply kept silent the entire time during the car ride here. 

The twins found the store tucked at the corner of the end of the lane, the name of the shop in bold red letters on the window in block letters. They pushed into the store, each one of them entering after each other quietly. 

The shop was relatively empty, there was no one in sight apart from them. Kai went off deeper into the store to look for the shop owner as the rest of them lingered around in the shop. 

Ciel glanced around the store, impressed by the rows of yarn that were neatly stacked alongside each other, creating walls of colorful designs across the interior of the shop. There were some fabrics on display too, including other knick-knacks, some books on knitting patterns and crochet patterns, even some knitted items were on sale.