Chapter 7 - Feeling Alive

Their daily trainings went along without many difficulties, unless you count Ciel almost passing out at some point, twice so far. The training was considerably tougher than what he had been used to and his body seemed to be taking it's time to get used to it. The lack of quality in his sleeping routine was probably the greatest contributing factor. That, and Teddy kept claiming that it would enhance his abilities the quickest if he constantly challenged his limit. He hit his limit every day, it would seem, twice, he had gone over his limit and almost died.

In theory, Ciel could agree with Teddy. But in reality, his body just wanted to give up when it gets too hard for him. The only upside to these gruelling training sessions was that Ciel was now able to fall asleep much faster each night. He was worked beyond exhaustion that Ciel had found himself falling asleep in the shower, only startling awake when his head hit the walls when he swayed in his sleep. But the quality of his rest, was still very much questionable.

Nathaniel had been consistently appearing at each training session, and Ciel was thankful for his presence. His sarcastic humour kept their spirits up when they had one foot in death's door and the other painfully struggling not to join the other. It also felt good when Nathaniel would curse Teddy and his ancestors when they were trying to get through the training.

The twins offered encouragement where they could. They were always eager to spar with Ciel whenever Teddy asked for volunteers. Ciel noticed that Len would always hold back on using his full strength, as though afraid to hurt him- which Ciel was positive he would if he did. Kai on the other hand, use his full strength every time, but he made sure to keep his attacks simple so that Ciel could still counter them if he tried hard enough.

Theo however, seemed to want nothing to do with his training. He kept away from Ciel choosing instead to concentrate on his own training. He seemed content to help with Nathaniel's training, beating up the poor guy whenever they sparred. Ciel thanked the heavens that it was Nathaniel on the receiving end of his attacks and not him. He was sure that Theo would pummel him to the ground if Teddy gave him the permission not to hold back.

Speaking of Theo, he has yet to have another confrontation with the Alpha Successor. The peaceful days seemed very much like the calm before a storm and Ciel has been waking up to uneasy feelings for the past week. It was as though he had been anticipating Theo's wrath. He kept his eye and other senses out for Theo, making sure to keep his distance whenever he could sense the Successor's irritation. It was just unnatural for Theo to even treat him with some decency.

It didn't take long till Ciel's vigilance was rewarded. Today, it seemed, was the breaking point for Theo's temper. Ciel marked it in his head: '0 days since explosive behaviour' as he promptly ran away from the situation at the first chance. Well, he preferred to use the word 'walk', but from the pace in which is left foot stepped in front of his right, he would have to admit that he 'ran'. It was embarrassing.

They were having a rather peaceful lunch break. Well, peaceful in Ciel's mind. But for some reason in the earth's rotation, Theo's motiveless wrath hit him hard. And even though he had already spent days expecting it, Ciel was still taken aback by how Theo could just accelerate his 'angry meter' as and when he liked.

It took the twins holding Theo back and Nathaniel standing between Theo and Ciel, before Ciel could dismiss himself from the moment, racing off feeling miserable and dejected.

He couldn't even remember what triggered Theo's fury. The way his utensils clinked when he ate? The way he cleaned his mouth on his napkin? The way he tapped his feet sometimes when he sits? He didn't know what triggered it, but Theo was beyond furious by the time he exploded at him, choosing to belittle his abilities, saying that he had not shown any proper improvement during the days he had been training with Teddy. He was appalled, apparently, that his father would choose to waste precious resources, like Teddy's time, to train someone like Ciel.