Chapter 15 - Being Aware Of You

It was yet another winter morning that Ciel found himself laying in bed pondering if he really needed a morning run after all. His inner wolf huffed and whined, and Ciel sighed loudly, knowing he didn't really have a choice after all.

He pushed himself off the bed, briefly wondering if he could shift into his wolf form and start his morning run from here, right in the middle of his room. He sighed with his eyes closed, of course not. How was he supposed to open the doors in this house with his paws? He trudged towards his trunk, reluctantly pulling on a down jacket that he had been reliant on for the past month since they've entered the winter season here at Spirit Lunar. He glanced back at his bed longingly. Perhaps he would indulge in an afternoon nap later.

As he made his way as usual out of his room to the clearing where he usually started his runs from, Ciel noted that this morning seemed extra quiet, perhaps attributing to the cold wind that was beating against his skin. He shuddered as he walked closer to the clearing. As soon as he could shift, it would feel much better than being in his human skin. His inner wolf let out an excited bark.

As he saw the clearing come up into view, Ciel started to plot his next few steps in his mind. He envisions that he would rip the jacket off his back, tear his shirt off and shift, all in one breath even before the cold wind would assault him. He could do it. He glanced around, noting that there was no one around him. Good. He didn't want anyone else to catch him in his wolf form. He had yet to shift in front of the other Spirit Lunar pack members apart from the Fabulous Five. he would like to keep it that way.

He winced as an especially large gust of freezing cold wind blew at him. He breathed deeply, jumping on the spot several times before he steeled himself and did as he planned. In a flash, he was in his wolf form, his jacket and shirt discarded haphazardly on the ground beside him. He grinned wolfishly in triumph as he picked his jacket up, shaking his fur as he revelled in the natural heating his wolf form offered.

He walked towards a  nearby tree, tucking his clothing at the base of the tree securely. He was already dreading his impending shift back to his human form after he was done with his run. It was far to cold to even think at all.

He tested the ground on his sensitive paws, tilting his head slightly when he found that his paws were feeling alright despite the icy ground. Thank Goddess for their supernatural powers. It was only times like this that he loved to be in his wolf form. But of course, only if no one could see him.

He trotted off further into the clearing, mindlessly picking up speed as he let himself run freely in any direction he wanted, in any way he wanted to. His inner wolf took the chance to dominate their conscious space and Ciel let it do what it wanted without hesitation. After all, it was a part of him, just a more instinctual, animalistic side of him.

He hummed a quiet tone in his mind as he let his wolf take them past familiar grounds, further into the woods. He enjoyed the cold breeze that now felt to him like a gentle chill instead of a blizzarding gust. He scented the trees and the ground that was somewhat covered in ice or slight snow as it barely snowed a couple of days before. He looked further into the horizon despite moving into thicker woods. He noticed that dawn would take a while more to come, as it usually was this time of year.

A familiar sight caught his eye and his wolf slowed down as the scent in the woods struck him. His wolf lingered for several moments just observing their surroundings, making sure that they were still alone, before he lowered his head to the ground, sniffing at it. The scent of blood from the fight with the drifters was faint by now. It had remained on the ground for several weeks even with a proper cleansing of the area.